0.5.2 released

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

0.5.2 released

Postby sascha » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:41 pm

I've delayed this for too long already, so here it is.
You can download JPatch 0.5.2 from the downloads section of the homepage.
There are still some issues, but if you try it out I'd appreciate your feedback. There ara a lot of "minor issues" I am aware of and Pndragon has made a nice bug-tracking database I plan to launch within the next few days (or weeks :wink: ) to track them. But for now please only report severe bugs (crashes, error messages, things that absolutely don't work, etc.)
General feedback about the new features and their integration into the GUI is of course appreciated.

Thanks for testing!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Viking Dan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:19 am

OS X 10.3.9

Crashes with this:

Code: Select all
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: jpatch/Launcher (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
   at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)

Its odd because .51 worked fine.
Viking Dan

Postby sascha » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:34 am

Which Java version are you using? I forgot to mention that this version requires Java 5.0. I've seen that it's available for Mac-OS-X, but maybe it requires 10.4.

I will try Retroweaver and check if it's possible to make a Java 1.4 version...

Oh, and welcome to the JPatch forum! :)

How did 0.5.1 look on Mac-OS-X? Does the JPatch and the Aqua Look-And-Feel look right?
I'm going to add some Mac-Related things (e.g. check wheter it runs on OS-X and put the menu-bar on top of the screen like other OS-X applications, etc. But I'll need to get access to a Mac - they are quite rare here in Europe).

The OpenGL (JOGL) native libraries for OS-X are not included in JPatch, but you can download and install them from here.
I'd be curios if JPatch's OpenGL support works on the Mac.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Viking Dan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:20 pm

I did get that(JOGL) to work, although the tooltips appeared behind the 4 panes. I am pre Tiger (10.3.9). Apple supports Java3D, so that might be an easier route for Mac folks.

Very nice app. If you can get it run with 1.4, that would be killer.
Viking Dan

Postby sascha » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:41 pm

I did get that(JOGL) to work, although the tooltips appeared behind the 4 panes.

Yes, I've heared about that before (even without JOGL). I've even added a switch that forces JOGL to use only lightweight components (as swing does), but unfortunately this does (in this version of JOGL) disable all hardware acceleration, so it's even slower than JPatch's builtin software renderer.

I don't know how to fix it though - looks like a Bug in Swing on Apple's JRE - There's an option for Swing to render ToolTips and Popup-Menues as heavyweight components - seems to work fine on Linux and Windows, but not on the Mac :-(

I'll try to google to see if I find some hints...

Apple supports Java3D

I did some tests with Java3D, but it's a high level scene graph API, and for JPatch I need low level access to the 3D card (as provided by OpenGL).

If you can get it run with 1.4, that would be killer.

Older versions did, but the new features of Java 5.0 are just too important to be ignored, so I switched to 5.0 a few weeks ago.

Is there any reason for not using Java 5.0?

I'll test that retroweaver though - If it works, it can modify classes compiled with 5.0 to be compatible with 1.4...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Viking Dan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:51 am

sascha wrote:Is there any reason for not using Java 5.0?

Believe it or not, you need to upgrade($) to 10.4 to use it. :(
Viking Dan

Postby sascha » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:28 am

Is there any reason for not using Java 5.0?
Believe it or not, you need to upgrade($) to 10.4 to use it.

Oh, that's a pity. As I don't use many of the new classes in the Java 5.0 libraries (I migrated becaus of the new language features) I think it should be possible to make a 1.4 compatible version with Retroweaver. I'll try...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:10 am

You're a prince, sir. I intend to upgrade my poor ass to Tiger at some point, but it would be sweet if I can keep using jPatch in the meantime.

Postby sascha » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 am

JPatch 0.4 should work on JRE 1.4 (although I haven't had a possibility to try it on a Mac).
The latest development versions do only work with JRE 1.5 (aka 5.0) - when I have time I'll try Retroweaver to make a 1.4 compatible version - but I can't promise that this will work :?

IMHO the new language features (Generics and the new for-loop) make the code much more readable and much less error prone - so I had to use them for new code (I'll update existing parts of the code at a later time).
sascha
Site Admin

Java 5.0 on JRE 1.4

Postby Anonymous_ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:36 pm

Anonymous_

Postby sascha » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Ok, thanks - I'll give it a try.

Is Retroweaver unmaintained?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:53 am

Hm. I now have Tiger with the latest update and I get the exact same error.

Postby Viking Dan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:01 am

Whoops. Never mind. Fixed it.

For anyone else on Tiger with this problem, hidden in /Utilities/Java is a JavaPreferences app which lets you specify which version of Java it tries to use first. Setting it to try 1.5 first cured the problem.

Carry on.
Viking Dan

Return to Development