AVI file of animation in VRML of a JPatch-made model.

Post rendered images that contain models made with JPatch.

AVI file of animation in VRML of a JPatch-made model.

Postby dphamhi » Mon May 01, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I made a model completely with Jpatch 0.5.2 and the CVS and then imported back into JPatch 0.4.1 because I wanted to use the exporter to Maya format.

I later used an animation editor , Vizx3d which is polygon-based that I know well, to do the bones and animation in VRML . It was then captured with CC3D, a tool to make AVI from VRML and compress into DivX 8)

Here's the movie clip: (due to time interval limitations the capture is jerky ) :
http://www.phamhi.com/estelle12.avi

Cheers !
Duc
~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby sascha » Tue May 02, 2006 7:18 pm

The next Lara Croft, eh? :)

I thought that VRML was dead (but that means nothing - I didn't know that it supports bones too). My impression was that Java3D is the semi-official successor of VMRL (and I thought that Java3D was quite dead as well) :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Nothing is dead as long as someone like to play with it. Personally, I like VRML. IMHO it is still one of the best ways to put a 3D world on the Web. But as more people convert to broadband connections this will change.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm

I didn't say that it is/was a bad technology. I did play with it a lot and even designed some M.C.Escher scenes as VRML worlds.

The main disadvantage was that when VRML was "hot", there were no good (and free) VRML plugins out there. Perhaps it was too early for virtual reality on the PC - by that time I had one of these 3dfx "Voodo" cards which provided hardware 3d rendering in fullscreen mode only, and had only very limited OpenGL support - OpenGL graphics cards were far too expensive and I don't know if there was a direct3D by that time. Anyway, it was almost impossible to get that VMRL worlds to render (with acceptable performance) in a browser window, so I guess most people gave it up :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dphamhi » Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 pm

sascha wrote: Anyway, it was almost impossible to get that VMRL worlds to render (with acceptable performance) in a browser window, so I guess most people gave it up :?

Well, it seemed to me it was not 100% dead, but it did not help make any money, which in our capitalistic world has almost the same consequences.
So the likes of Cosmographic, Cortona, Parallelgraphics, Blaxxun, etc. went belly up. Others like Cybertown has now to charge monthly fees to survive.

But, VRML still provide a lot of chat in 3D based worlds both in US (cybertown) and other ( Second life, iCity, etc...) countries. It has metamorphosed itself today into X3D which is basically VRML 97 (that supports bones when used with H-Anim specifs version 1.1 , and even single-mesh morphing in version 2.2) expanded with more powerful embedded 2D capabilities. X3D implements 2D and text into these 3D worlds , it seems. So you can model a guy reading a newspaper with the articles in it as UTF or ASCII or truetype or whatever, but not bitmaps . (if I understand well)

That was why a while back I asked if Sascha would write a Java rendering applet that would read a jpt file containing animation , and play it embedded in a web page, or allow the user with the mouse to move inside the scene rendered in the applet window.

One can always dream ;-) :lol:
Cheers
~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby sascha » Wed May 03, 2006 8:24 am

That was why a while back I asked if Sascha would write a Java rendering applet that would read a jpt file containing animation

First of all we need a stable JPatch animation file format.
Java3D is too high-level for my purposes, but I think one can use JOGL in applets too, so it's worth a try - but don't hold your breath!
sascha
Site Admin

Re: AVI file of animation in VRML of a JPatch-made model.

Postby sascha » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:00 pm

This forum is for images and animations created with JPatch. Please post to "off topic" next time.
Btw, how can I move this one to OT?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Use the "Quick Mod" dropdown at the bottom of the page. Select the posts that you want to move with the checkboxes, etc.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Oh, cool, I didn't know that one.
But it seems that it can only be used to move entire topics, not individual messages :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Sorry, I should have paid more attention. Split Topic should do the trick.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for the hint. I've moved the message to OT and I'll later delete the discussion about moving it.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Image gallery