Overview Page Added

The JPatch Documentation Project has been launched in the Wiki. It's aim is to create a complete, in-depth documentation for JPatch. This forum should be used for discussion related to JPatch's documentation.

Overview Page Added

Postby dcuny » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:21 am

I started working on a General Overview to Animating with JPatch page. I'm a bit confused with how the Wiki is organized, so I might have put it in the wrong place.

The intent is to give someone who might not be familar with computer animation a general overview of how to use JPatch to do animation. It tries to cover really basic stuff at a conceptual level, like why the timeline shows time using fractional frame amounts, what overshoot is, what FK and IK are, and so on. I've held off on adding graphics, mostly because everything being discussed will look different in the next release.

I suspect this would ultimately be better served by a tutorial, but it's a start anyway.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:53 am

Cool, thanks a lot!

I'll read through it later today.
I'm a bit confused with how the Wiki is organized, so I might have put it in the wrong place.

Well, the docs: folder contained the "original" documentation that I wrote. Torf started the "JPatch Documentation Project" in parallel, it's in the jdp: folder. I think that eventually the jpd will become the "official" documentation. Feel free to alter the table of contents on the index page.

One thing I noted was some explainatory text about timecodes and frame-numbers. I wander if it really is a good thing to start with frame 1, I've posted my arguments for starting with frame 0 in another thread:
sascha wrote:After some thought, I now tend to support frame numbers starting at 0 instead of 1.

It's obvious that the timecode should start with 00:00:00.0 - that's what we're used from our clocks anyway.

The only reason for starting frame numbers with 1 would be the paradigm that we think of the first frame as frame number 1.
But when designing the ruler, I suddenly had a problem:
It's common to label e.g. every tenth frame - starting from 0 this would be 0, 10, 20,... - but starting from 1 would make this 1, 11, 21,... which looks quite odd.

So I think that frame numbers should start from 0. Computer nerds will have no problem with counting from zero, but there are also a lot of everyday items that start counting from 0: Clocks, rulers, thermometers, game scores, all sorts of counters, just to name a few.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:08 am

Yes, I was wondering about that as well. I'll see what other programs use as their defaults. Although it's not good to slavishly following other programs, I think it's a good idea to follow their lead where possible. If JPatch strays too much, I suspect people will recommend beginners stay away from it, to avoid learning bad habits. People used to other software will also avoid it.
    Edit: Blender's frame numbers start with 1. Some feedback from people experienced with other software would be helpful (hint, hint).
I've added a screenshot of the timeline, and a couple to illustrate the morph targets. I think the discussion about overshoot and keys will be much more clear with images of the timeline to accompany it.
dcuny

Re: Overview Page Added

Postby Torf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:25 pm

dcuny wrote:I started working on a General Overview to Animating with JPatch page.

Cool!

I'm a bit confused with how the Wiki is organized, so I might have put it in the wrong place.

It's a wiki, there's no wrong place :D No, seriously: It seems that outside the