Converting to polygons?

General discussion about JPatch

Converting to polygons?

Postby Mizkreant » Mon May 30, 2005 12:17 am

Once I finish a model, how could I convert the patches to polygons? Does exporting to .OBJ format convert to polys or does it retain the splines? I'm mainly using Jpatch to model characters for use in game mods, that's why I need polygons. Is there any application that could convert the models?
Mizkreant

Postby dcuny » Mon May 30, 2005 8:54 am

The .obj format is a common polygon based format which can be read by many programs. An accompanying .mtl material file is also created.

Some programs will only read triangle based models, so you have the option of splitting all quads into triangles when you export them.

Most 3D programs will read the .obj format.
dcuny

Postby Mizkreant » Tue May 31, 2005 6:29 am

I see. Thanks.
Mizkreant

Postby Mizkreant » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:41 am

As an experiment I took a half finished model I'm working on in JPatch and exported it to OBJ format. I then loaded it into Silo. I didn't expect the seams from 5 point patches to show up but they did. I thought the seams were just a JPatch quirk. Furthermore, none of the vertices were connected to each other, so the whole object is just a bunch of faces floating in space. I didn't notice this until I tried to subdivide the object in Silo and and I got rounded isolated faces as a result.

Why isn't JPatch exporting the object correctly? I am doing something wrong?
Mizkreant

Postby pndragon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Before you tried to export the model, did you align all of your patches first?
(see the documentation)
pndragon

Postby Mizkreant » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:44 am

I'm still using 0.3. I thought preview release = beta so I stayed away from 0.4. I take it 0.4 is stable enough to use daily?
Mizkreant

Postby pndragon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:00 am

The preview release has a much better .obj export.

And yes, it is stable enough to be used on a daily basis.

--Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi,

I'm back from vacation, and my PC is working again (its PSU was broken before I left so I was unable to put a note online...)

I think David and Pndragon already answered your question: try it with 0.4 (and don't forget to "align" the patches first, see the documentation) - please let me know if it worked.

About 0.3, 0.4 preview, beta, ect.:
JPatch is work in progress and is neither feature complete nor mature (that's what the 0 in 0.3, 0.4, 0.x is trying to say :) ). The 0.4 preview actually fixes some bugs of 0.3, but on the other hand contains a lot of new or reworked code that has not been thoroughly tested, so it might have some yet undiscovered new bugs. Save often and make backups of your model/animation files to minimize the risk of loosing your work (that's a general recommendation for all versions of JPatch, altough I never ran into a problem that was not recoverable)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 pm

sascha wrote:About 0.3, 0.4 preview, beta, ect.:
JPatch is work in progress and is neither feature complete nor mature (that's what the 0 in 0.3, 0.4, 0.x is trying to say :) ). The 0.4 preview actually fixes some bugs of 0.3, but on the other hand contains a lot of new or reworked code that has not been thoroughly tested, so it might have some yet undiscovered new bugs. Save often and make backups of your model/animation files to minimize the risk of loosing your work (that's a general recommendation for all versions of JPatch, altough I never ran into a problem that was not recoverable)

Sorry to go off topic, but if I create a model in the preview, save it, and I find a bug that keeps me from working on it, would I be able to open that model using an older, more stable version? I haven't found any error like that, but if it's not backwards compatible, I won't bother with backups very much
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:30 am

Sorry to go off topic, but if I create a model in the preview, save it, and I find a bug that keeps me from working on it, would I be able to open that model using an older, more stable version? I haven't found any error like that, but if it's not backwards compatible, I won't bother with backups very much

It should be possible to load a model created with 0.4 into 0.3, but it will not recognize new features like morphs (so you'll loose the morphs if you save it with 0.3).
In general, I wouldn't say that the 0.4 preview is so much less stable than 0.3, it's just that I did more intensive testing with 0.3 (and there was a beta release before the "final" 0.3 release). Nevertheless, I did find some bugs in 0.3 later (which have been fixed in 0.4), but also some new bugs in 0.4.

The most important thing is to report a bug when you find one.

The backup advice is just in case JPatch would corrupt the data when saving it (although I've never seen that, I can't rule it out). I'll add an automatic backup feature to future versions (that makes a copy of all files it overwrites).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:00 am

sascha wrote:The backup advice is just in case JPatch would corrupt the data when saving it (although I've never seen that, I can't rule it out). I'll add an automatic backup feature to future versions (that makes a copy of all files it overwrites).

Just curious if you ever put that feature into JPatch. Sorry to bump an old thread, it's just that when I've been to a forum for a while, I like to look at my first post :D
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 am

Yes, I did. Since 0.5.1 actually destroyed model files, I was forced to :?
Before overwriting a model file, JPatch will make a copy of it (with a ~ prefixed to the filename). Note that the backup-file is overwritten without warning.
I've also changed the file-saving code: it now attempts to serialize the object to XML in memory - only if that succeeds it will attempt to write the generated XML data to file. This prevents damage to files if JPatch encounters a problem during XML serializazion (which was the case in 0.5.1)
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion