Yet another JPatch head...

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

Yet another JPatch head...

Postby sascha » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:30 am

Another attemt in modeling a human head in JPatch... (click thumbnails for larger image)
[url=http://www.jpatch.com/gallery/wip/head_wip_1_screenshot.png]
[/url]
JPatch editor view
[url=http://www.jpatch.com/gallery/wip/head_wip_1_pov.png]
[/url]
Rendered with POV-Ray

What do you think?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby settra » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:04 pm

better than the first one :lol: :wink:
Modelling my head I tried to avoid having something else than 4sided patches. I don't know how much it can be achieved but I finished with some ugly 5 sided one. I see you've used a lot of hooks, It would be cool to have some explanations about them. When can they be used, where ...

nice head.
settra

Postby sascha » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:39 am

Modelling my head I tried to avoid having something else than 4sided patches.

They can't be avoided everywhere, but trying to avoid them is a good strategy.
...with some ugly 5 sided one...

When used properly, they should not be ugly. But keep in mind that I have not yet found and optimal solution for representing 5-sided patches as 5 regular 4-sided ones, so some creases will be visible when rendering (especially on reflective surfaces, or on specular highlights) - The same is true for 3- sided patches and for hooks.
I see you've used a lot of hooks, It would be cool to have some explanations about them. When can they be used, where ...
Basically they're a tool to change the mesh density - e.g. if you'd like to connect a cylinder with 4 controlpoints in the cross-section to a cylinder with 8 ones, you could hook the remaining 4 curve segments. Some more down to earth examples are shown in my How to avoid creases "tutorial". In short, whenever you've got a curve-segment and don't know where to connect it to, think about using a hook :wink:
I'll post the head model when it's finished (or will include it in the distribution)...
sascha
Site Admin

Re: Yet another JPatch head...

Postby miyoken » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:21 am

Nice modelling!
I found that Jpatch's auto mirror is not realtime mirror.
It is auto copy & paste & flip...
HamaPatch's mirror featrure is realtime mirror.

Don't you actually think that it is easy to carry out the modeling of the way of real time mirror?

Anyway, it seems that hook is useful.
HamaPatch dosen't support it.

Is the tutorial of head modelling due to be written?

miyoken
miyoken

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:42 am

Nice modelling!

Thanks. I've posted a new version to p.b.images (in the povray newsgroups). I'll bundle the final version with the JPatch 0.3 release (I'd like to release it today) and will place an image into the gallery.

I found that Jpatch's auto mirror is not realtime mirror...

I know. It's just a help, because welding the two halfes manually can be quite cumbersome.
I'll work on a kind of symmetry tool later - but for now the main focus is on morphing and skeleton animation.
I'll have to take a closer look on hamaPatch and how its mirror feature works...

Anyway, it seems that hook is useful.

Yes, I think both, hooks and five sided patches are useful for animation. You can hide the areas where three-point patches cause creases in a still (Anto Matkovic for example has made some gread hamaPatch models of humans or human heads), but you can't hide it in a fully poseable model - that's where hooks and five sided patches are needed.

Is the tutorial of head modelling due to be written?

Yes, I'll write some more tutorials, including one for modeling a head. The funny thing is that I'm still learning patch modeling. Once I have a clear "recipe" about how to model a head, I'll start a new one and take screenshots during modeling.
I've found this one (by Anto Matkovic) quite useful.
It does not use any hooks or five sided patches though, but you can search the web for Animation:Master modeling tutorilas too...

I've spent the last days writing a new tutorial (Introduction to patch modeling) and a reference manual for JPatch, both are now online and available in the documentation selction.
I need to update the readme file and create the directory structure for the release, then it should be ready for uploading it to sourceforge...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby mincemeat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:50 am

Online Proxy Checker: check HTTP proxies, check socks 4 / 5 proxies, socks proxy checker: http://www.socksproxylist.com
mincemeat

Return to WIP (work in progress)