a leopard

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

a leopard

Postby paul » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:08 am

Not quite so involved as modeling a human, but getting the bones to work through their reasonable ranges of motion is still causing me some trouble.

http://paul.stansifer.googlepages.com/leopard

I exported with bicubic patches this time. I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially since it means that I can import the result into kpovmodeler, and manipulate the model in a larger scene without grinding my poor computer into the ground.
paul

Postby sascha » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:19 am

Very nice (especially because it's rigged and has a skeleton!)

Not quite so involved as modeling a human, but getting the bones to work through their reasonable ranges of motion is still causing me some trouble.

Sometimes the order in which the rotational degrees-of-freedoms are applied make a huge difference (e.g. pitch->yaw->roll vs. yaw->pitch->roll). I don't have much expirence at this time, but once I've figured out how, I plan to add some tutorials about how to model real joints.

and manipulate the model in a larger scene without grinding my poor computer into the ground.

If this single model makes problems in the modeler you should either use a lower subdivision level (in the realtime renderer settings) or use OpenGL.

The animator should only be used to control JPatch characters (fully rigged models). All other objects (background, props, etc.) should be included with placeholder objects (i.e. simplified JPatch models, that point to an external .pov or .rib file). Note that the animator can still move, scale and rotate such objects, it just can't articulate them (apply morphs, move bones, etc.). I'll make some tutorials too once the JPatch 0.5.3 is out.

The animator is currently not designed to support scenes with massive numbers of characters.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby paul » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks.

sascha wrote:Sometimes the order in which the rotational degrees-of-freedoms are applied make a huge difference (e.g. pitch->yaw->roll vs. yaw->pitch->roll). I don't have much expirence at this time, but once I've figured out how, I plan to add some tutorials about how to model real joints.

I guess I should have said that I'm having trouble getting the patches to behave properly through the bones's ranges of motion. The main trick seems to be to giving those shoulder areas a wide berth so that patches don't wind up getting crunched.

If this single model makes problems in the modeler you should either use a lower subdivision level (in the realtime renderer settings) or use OpenGL.

In JPatch it's fine, but I'm building indoor scenes out of POV-Ray primitives in kpovmodeler, so I'm exporting to POV-Ray for it. It's an amazing piece of software, but it's not designed for triangle meshes. Unions of bicubic patches are much less bulky, plus you can actually see through their wireframes. This means that I can't do animation (I can live with that), and I have to fully pose everything before arranging it in the scene (I think I can live with that, but I haven't actually tried it...). I don't think that I can live without my CSG and #while loops, which is why I'm going to all this trouble.
paul

Return to WIP (work in progress)