A poseable human in JPatch

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

A poseable human in JPatch

Postby paul » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:54 am

This is a relatively low-spline model (the lips are a total of four patches, for example) that I made. It was posed with bones. I started off with rotoscoping, but it's quite hard to find good edge-on or face-on diagrams of human proportions.

There are more images, and the .jpt file at http://paul.stansifer.googlepages.com/fa.

Some things I noticed:
*When mirroring, JPatch switches "right" and "left" instead of adding "mirrored" to the name. That's really cool.
*What is "weight"? It's mentioned in the docs, but it isn't clear what it does, and it didn't seem to have any effect when I tried it.
*Cloning something doesn't seem to clone its hooks.

I've used POV-Ray before textually, but JPatch is the first modeler that I've been able to get off the ground with. I really like it.
paul

Postby sascha » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:42 am

Hello Paul, welcome to the JPatch forum.
Wow - your image looks nice (especially for such a low spline density)!

*When mirroring, JPatch switches "right" and "left" instead of adding "mirrored" to the name. That's really cool.

Yes - I'm working on a concept for "well-known" bone names. This way actions or choreographies made for one model could easily be applied to a completely different model.

What is "weight"?

In which context? There's currently a simple tool to add weight to a selection (of controlpoints) - weight 1.0 means a point is selected, 0.0 that it isn't selected, and 0.5 e.g. would mean that it's "half" selected. You can creaty fancy effects with weighted selections (e.g. try moving, scaling or rotating them).

When points are assigned to bones the automatically compute their "weight" per degree-of-freedom, depending on the DOF's mode (rigid, soft or smooth) - the best way to get a feeling for it is modeling a simpole joint (e.g. an elbow) and playing around with the different settings.

I plan to add a a means to modify a point-to-bone weight manually and some other tools to modify weight (e.g. a weight painting tool like in Maya).

Cloning something doesn't seem to clone its hooks.

Now, that looks like a bug. Which version did you use? Do you see the same effect with JPatch0.4 too? Can you send me an example file that shows the problem?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:13 pm

Hey Paul! I second Sascha - that model looks nice! Personally I haven't found any time to try myself at modelling a human, one reason is that there are so little tutorials out there. I'll have a look at your model later to see your approach.

Keep up the good work!
Torf

Postby paul » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:33 pm

sascha wrote:Wow - your image looks nice (especially for such a low spline density)!

Thanks, although I think that the low spline density helps in some ways. Surfaces seem to flow together better if you use fewer control points. It also makes it easier to obsessively readjust things.

Yes - I'm working on a concept for "well-known" bone names. This way actions or choreographies made for one model could easily be applied to a completely different model.

Neat!

In which context? There's currently a simple tool to add weight to a selection (of controlpoints) - weight 1.0 means a point is selected, 0.0 that it isn't selected, and 0.5 e.g. would mean that it's "half" selected. You can creaty fancy effects with weighted selections (e.g. try moving, scaling or rotating them).

Ahh, now I see! I had thought that weight was a property of the point itself, rather than a way of selecting it. Could I suggest that calling the tool something like "Partially deselect" or "Fuzzy deselect" might make that clearer?

When points are assigned to bones the automatically compute their "weight" per degree-of-freedom, depending on the DOF's mode (rigid, soft or smooth) - the best way to get a feeling for it is modeling a simpole joint (e.g. an elbow) and playing around with the different settings.

I plan to add a a means to modify a point-to-bone weight manually and some other tools to modify weight (e.g. a weight painting tool like in Maya).

It seems like you could just use the ordinary weight tool for that -- assign the point to one bone, weight it lower, and assign it to another bone.

Now, that looks like a bug. Which version did you use? Do you see the same effect with JPatch0.4 too? Can you send me an example file that shows the problem?

I've been using JPatch 0.5.2, but I can reproduce it in 0.4 also. It doesn't always happen, even to the same model. One time, I opened the model and cloned it once, losing the hooks. I cloned it two more times, and both times it kept them.
Attachments
hooks.zip
clone_hooks.jpt is a subset of my model, made in 0.5.2, which sometimes loses its hooks when the whole thing is cloned.

clone_hooks2.jpt is a much simpler model, made in 0.4
(26.71 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
prt_desel.png
prt_desel.png (303 Bytes) Viewed 6674 times
paul

Postby sascha » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Could I suggest that calling the tool something like "Partially deselect" or "Fuzzy deselect" might make that clearer?

I think it's called weight in other tools as well. Its not to be confused with mass - it's more like weighting, in terms of a quantifier.

It seems like you could just use the ordinary weight tool for that

Yes, that's true - this tools is usable for some operations, but a bit limited (it can only apply a linear falloff). With a weight painting tool the model would be rendered in greyscale - white means 100%, black 0% and all shades of grey the inbetween values. You could then select a grey-value and (line in a painting program), paint over the image.

I'll have a look at the bug, thanks for the files!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:52 pm

I'll have a look at the bug, thanks for the files!

Just want to add that it happened to me just a minute ago, too. I'm running 0.5.2 and everything was cloned, except the hooks. They are definitely selected before I press the clone button, though. I'm not able to get it to work properly right now, so it's definitley reproducable (restarting JPatch didn't help). Perhaps I can look into it later, but right now I'm busy modelling :P
Torf

Postby sascha » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 am

I haven't had time to look into this yet. What's amazing is that 0.4 seems to be affected by the same bug, which is quite strange because the parts of the code that I'd suspect have been rewritten, more or less from scratch, in 0.5...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby paul » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:12 am

http://paul.stansifer.googlepages.com/fa

A new revision. The previous version was drifting from normal human proportions, so I found some refrence images and rotoscoped them. I also think I fixed some other things, but I can't now remember quite what.

I also updated "Thoughts on modeling people".
paul

Return to WIP (work in progress)