Carnivore

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

Carnivore

Postby Torf » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:34 pm

This is my latest model. Simple, but not as simple as my last one :D I'm trying to achieve a comical look this time.

Would be nice to hear your comments about it!
Torf

Postby pndragon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:33 pm

Nice. A Roger Corman fantasy.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:19 pm

I almost expect the right one to pop out and go "Feed me!" :D Nice job
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby Torf » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Thanks for your comments! I'm pretty much satisfied with how the model looks right now, except for the place where the branches connect. It's modeled after the "Attaching digits without creases"-tutorial, but it just doesn't look smooth, and that hurts the comical look. I'm not sure what I did wrong though, so I attached the model and it would be really cool if someone of you could take a look at it :D (The file is a zipped jpt-file, but I had to rename it to zip.jpt in order to be able to upload it to the forum).
Torf

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:20 am

Thank you! One thing I think JPatch is missing is a good collection of models to look at and learn from. Now I get to see how a cartoony charactor is made...
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby rjh » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:46 am

Excelent model Torf. It seems very animatable ... very expressive model. Let us see it animated!

Rob
rjh

Postby pndragon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:14 am

I'm not sure what I did wrong though

As far as creasing goes, I can't really find anything wrong. To smooth out the look, just adjust the location of the two edge loops on the slightly until you get the look that you want. You might want to re-scale them slightly also.

As a side note... the model I downloaded did not have all of it's patches aligned. Aligning patches is a good habit to develop, especially if you might want to export the model to another format at a later time.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:50 am

Excellently modeled. Great job!
As for the creasing, I think Pndragon is right. Try re-positioning the controlpoints that make up the branch.

One thing I think JPatch is missing is a good collection of models to look at and learn from.

That's right and I hope this situation will change in the future. When I have more time I plan to have something like a model database online, where users can submit models, rate them, etc.
If JPatch becomes more popular, maybe even a competition some day, who knows...

But there are some pretty good A:M modeles out there. E.g. here
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:07 am

Thanks for your input, guys! I already tried repositioning the points, but it seems I'll have to try again :wink:

pndragon wrote:As a side note... the model I downloaded did not have all of it's patches aligned. Aligning patches is a good habit to develop, especially if you might want to export the model to another format at a later time.

Yep, I normally do that, but only once I have a model (or a part of it) finished.
Torf

Return to WIP (work in progress)