Great White (Moved from Models)

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

Great White (Moved from Models)

Postby nomel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:14 pm

Needed a partial shark for a scene I'm making in POV-Ray. Ended up making the whole thing (it'll look better this way anyways). Needs a little touching up (couldn't find any good reference photos for width reference) if it were used as a main model...good enough for what I need (it'll be in murky water).

And no creases btw, except for small gaps between patches where some of the hooks are.

Not too shabby for my second model in any kind of modeler. Shows how quick and easy JPatch is to use ;)

I'll attach the model soon.
nomel

Postby pndragon » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:09 pm

Very nice.
pndragon

Postby sascha » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:29 pm

Very nice indeed. Well done!
sascha
Site Admin

WIP 2

Postby nomel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:42 am

Made a texture for it. Used a cylindrical texture map. It's mouth is cartoonish looking (seems to have a smirk), but looks fine at the angle I use it.

I noticed the reference photo I used was a little different than some others I found, which is why the top fin is like it is. I'll change it to the more recognizable fin and some more touch up before posting.

I was happy to see that the creases visible in jpatch didn't seem to show up in the render. :D

nomel

Postby rjh » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:24 pm

Excelent job on the image mapping!
rjh

Postby pndragon » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:22 pm

Exceptional!

What did you use to create the map?

Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Cool...

U/V mapping is next on my list, mapping images should be easier then. It's also necessary for animation.
sascha
Site Admin

uv map...pfft?

Postby nomel » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:08 pm

What is this UV map nonsense you speak of :P It's just a cylindrical image_map in povray. I used mspaint to draw it. Of course, cylindrical image maping will only work on models without "overhanging" parts. For instance, couldn't have the side fins point way back, cause the gray image map for the fin would cover the body under the fin also (that actually happens to a small extent on this one).

First, I made a grid of numbers and colored lines so I could easily see where the parts of the map covered the body. I then colored each body part with a different color to make a template, then just added detail. Each time I changed something, I would save, then hit render in POV-Ray to see how it changed. And, the eye is a black sphere btw.

Didn't take that long to do...I was actually surprised how fast I finished it. I'm sure there's a more appropriate way to do it...but...if I want to enter my scene in the IRTC, I need to hurry :O!

These are scaled down:
Body parts roughly colored.

Changed to actual colors I was going to use.

Added detail.

You can see the remanents of the original number grid in the first two.
nomel

Postby sascha » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:30 pm

What is this UV map nonsense you speak of

Right now the way you did it is about the only possibility. But as POV-Ray has no support for reference-geometry, the texture would not "stick" to the model if the model was animated (i.e. it's controlpoints moved when the shark swims). Thus, u/v mapping is the only way to attach textures to animated objects in POV-Ray, so this feature is next on my list...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby nomel » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:48 am

I know, I was just kidding :P

It'll be REALY nice when you do implement that though.
nomel

Return to WIP (work in progress)