Dragon head....

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

Dragon head....

Postby pndragon » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:13 pm

This model is after an auto mirror test run... any comments/suggestions would be appreciated

http://www.pndragon65.com/models/dragon_e.jpt

Jim
Last edited by pndragon on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pndragon

Postby sascha » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:23 pm

:D
This is nice dragonhead! Very well modeled, and very good use of five-point patches and hooks!

There are only a two problematic regions on the bottom side, but these are easily fixed:
Image Image
Here a 4-point patch was used to fill a 3-sided region. 4-point patches should always be made up of 4 individual curves (not three) - this will avoid creases when rendered: The soultion is easy: I've inserted some more points and made it a three point patch.

Image Image
Here is a similar problem. A 5-point patch was used to fill a 4-sided region. The solution is using a hook, like you did on the neighbor patch. I've deleted the point using the DELETE key (not backspace) and re-attached the curve segment to a hook.

Similar problems are behind the ears. I'll change the patch-finding algorithm in JPatch to not recognize such (so called degenerate) patches as valid anymore. They're only causing confusion anyway :-)
The latest development version uses a different subdivision scheme that is a bit more sinsitive, so it made it easy to spot these regions - the're pretty hard to spot with JPatch version 0.3...

There seems to be another problem behind the nostrils, but I'm not sure what it is - it could be caused by a bug too, I'll have to further investigate it...

But all in all, great work! Do you plan to render it with POV-Ray?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks for your input...

This is my first non-tutorial model and I really should have started with something simpler but you always have to go with what interests you.

A 5-point patch was used to fill a 4-sided region.

That was my fault! :oops: Sloppy thinking on my part, I'm afraid, not a jPatch error.
Do you plan to render it with POV-Ray?

I don't know... I tried a trial render with Inyo and got a lot of artifacts around the eyes. As soon as I figure out how to use textures with Inyo, I'll probably try it again.
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:12 pm

I have implemented your changes on the original model
There seems to be another problem behind the nostrils, but I'm not sure what it is - it could be caused by a bug too, I'll have to further investigate it...

That was my error also... it seems the nasal passage was just a little too close to the nostril.

This model was not originally intended to be animated... with Animator to play with, even without bones, I may have to make changes to it (separate the lower lip from the face) to allow for that eventuality.

Jim
pndragon

Postby miyoken » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:23 pm

Nice modeling!
It seems that you used rotoscope...

I remembered "E.T.". :)
miyoken

Postby pndragon » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:27 am

It seems that you used rotoscope...
IMHO that seems to be the way to go if you have a complex figure... or a bad memory, like me.

The almost completed model is here:
http://www.pndragon65.com/models/dragon_f.jpt

Some trial renders:

In Pov-RAY:

In RenderMan using 3Delight:
Last edited by pndragon on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pndragon

Postby rjh » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:55 pm

Very nice pndragon, very nice indeed. Seems that this model would be a prime candidate for Sascha's new morph targets Animator part of Jpatch. Keep up the good work!

Robert
rjh

pov v rib o/p pictures

Postby zmemw16 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:05 pm

any idea what causes the differences ? eyebrow, bridge of nose ....

also some colour variation on side of nose, distinct oval type shape ?

stephen
zmemw16

Postby pndragon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 am

any idea what causes the differences ? eyebrow, bridge of nose ....

also some colour variation on side of nose, distinct oval type shape ?

I believe all of the differences are illusory. Some details are more apparent in the Pov-RAY render due to the high specularity and reflectivity of the default material. I used a matte instead of plastic shader for the renderman render and so did not use either of these parameters
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:37 am

Here it is with a skin shader:
Last edited by pndragon on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:58 am

Very nice !

any idea what causes the differences ?

The material properties are ATM fully supported by POV-Ray only (they're in fact a bit POV-Ray centric). If you use a default renderman shader you won't get any reflections, refractions, shadows, etc.
Pixie, 3Delight and BMRT can use raytracing (or are raytracers), so you can turn on raytraced shadows or use the trace method in shader-language for raytraced reflections, refractions, etc. Aqsis is AFAIK a pure REYES renderer, so you'd need to setup shadow-maps for shadows and environment maps for reflections.

What skin shader did you use?

Would you like me to put it into the gallery? If you want to share the model file, don't forget to either make it public-domain or chose a licence (e.g. one from creative commons)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:59 pm

What skin shader did you use?
I used the RudyCSkin shader from RenderMan® Repository. The default parameters were much too smooth and I had to play with them to get this texture...

As for adding it to the gallery... I do not know. It is not really complete yet.

Postby pndragon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Sorry... did not realize that I was not logged in....
pndragon

Postby miyoken » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:44 pm

Hello,Jim.
http://www.pndragon65.com/models/dragon_f.jpt

This model is very attractive!! :D
Did you used photograph of real dragon figure for rotoscope?
I do not know what one the Pendragon is.
Is this model Pendragon?
miyoken

Postby pndragon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:47 pm

I would have to say that this is the one and only Pendragon. It exists only within the depths of my fevered imagination. The pictures used for the rotoscope were of front and side views of the head sketched by me on graph paper.

I just like dragons....
pndragon

Next

Return to WIP (work in progress)