Way too much time on my hands!

Post unfinished images or JPatch model files for comment.

Way too much time on my hands!

Postby pndragon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:32 pm

I suspect that I've spent way, way too much time playing Mafia Wars lately.

What do you think?
mafia_dragon.jpg

I'm not doing any real modelling because jpatch is my tool of choice and I don't want to have to rework everything.

Not trying to rush you. Much. :wink:
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: Way too much time on my hands!

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:02 pm

I like the model, and the specular hightlight on the eye. But the lighting looks a bit odd - parts of the nose are illuminated where they probably are facing against the light. Did you turn off shadows in the renderer?

In any event, it's good to see new work posted here. :)
dcuny

Postby rjh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Love the model Jim. Would love to see animated ... seems to have a great deal of personality already.

I'm not doing any real modeling because Jpatch is my tool of choice and I don't want to have to rework everything.

I still do quite a bit of modeling in Jpatch patch modeler ... and animation too. I like the sqashy interpolation look you can get out of it, and you can get other interesting results keying off a previous set of morphs. Anyways ... what I'm trying to say is you can still use a good tool (and i think the old patch Jpatch was / is a good tool for modeling and animation) even though you cant get upgrades. And I've liked all the models I have seen you make with the patch tools ... seems to work for you.

I know you guys don't believe me, but I do have stuff to post. Its just i feel that they are like drawings that need just a few more lines. I WILL post something ... soon ...

Anyways, nice model Jim. Show us more ! Make a body, do some poses ...

Rob
rjh

Postby pndragon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 am

dcuny wrote:Did you turn off shadows in the renderer
No. There seems to be a problem with the version of aqsis that was packaged for Ubuntu 8.10.
rjh wrote:Make a body
There is a body. In fact, there are several bodies ( just as this head has been worked over a number of times) but I am not particularly happy with any of them. Bodies with wings. Bodies with no wings. Thin or thick, long or short, I've created a variation. My beautiful daughter wiped out the folder but I have them backed up somewhere.

As for creating a pose, animation is not really my strong suit.
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:47 am

Same scene rendered with inyo
mafia_dragon_left_inyo.png

I like the the look of this much better. Note the reflections of the muzzle in the sunglasses.

It would not make me unhappy to be able to use inyo as a stand-alone raytracer as it is more than fast enough for my needs.
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:03 am

Ah... But the basic problem is the shadows. If they were working, it would prevent those areas from being lit.

Looking at the Inyo rendering, I can see there's a bug how anti-aliasing interacts with transparent materials - you can see the jaggies in the objects through the glass lens. (That should be fixed in later versions of Inyo).

I ran across an interesting acceleration for transparent objects the other day - if you assume that nothing intersects your transparent objects (which is usually the case), while the ray is moving through the transparent object, you can have the raytracer ignore anything that isn't that object. Transparency is a really neat visual effect, but it (and reflections) can really eat up processing time. Anything that would make it faster would be good.

Another acceleration I was reading about suggested partitioning the screen space into blocks, similar to Renderman's buckets. Rays are then tested only against objects residing in these screen-space blocks. This apparently gives a good speedup, and works with lights as well. (Each light would have its own acceleration structure). It would only work for objects that don't have reflection and transparency, but that's likely to be most of the objects in the scene.

I also want to port my spherical harmonic code over to Inyo. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to add, but I think it would really add a lot of the images. I've seen it used in a number of the PC games my kids are playing from - here's an example from Sam and Max. Imagine that with ambient occlusion and soft shadows. :)

Although, to be honest, I'm not even sure where the most current version of Inyo is on my machine. My machine died a couple months back, and I'm running a new machine. I'm fairly sure that the most recent source is backed up somewhere. :?

If you were to use Inyo in stand-alone mode, what sort of input files would you want to use for it? The .obj file is very common, but doesn't support lighting information. The .ply format is even more limited. I've got a limited .rib parser, but it's tied into Marin, and it would take a lot of work to move it to another platform. I don't know any common 3D file formats which support lights, and you'd still have problems supporting special features, like soft spherical lights.

I've also got a reader for jPatch, which is probably what you'd want to target.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:19 pm

8) Cool, I love that dragon model.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to WIP (work in progress)