Website update; all (mostly) new!

Post rendered images that contain models made with JPatch.

Website update; all (mostly) new!

Postby rjh » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:58 am

Hey guys,

I've been caught up in busy work, school, visiting friends and relatives (and visiting them too); second (and third for that matter) j o b , blah blah blah, yada yada, life! ... but I have managed to fit in some animation as well .

!=>

Most of it is Jpatch, but I also have some Moho (2D vector) animation there as well. Have a look ... let me know what you think. This site will be very dynamic for the next few weeks (i.e. lots of updates). Oh, and I know the site is absurdley simple, but I accept criticism there as well ... =>

http://www.smartcomix.com

Rob
rjh

Postby squirrelhavoc » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:11 pm

It is simple. but it has what every site requires (in my opinion): Content. Looks like you have quite a bit there. I will have to come back later and check it all out (kinda busy now :) )
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby rjh » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks for taking a look!

Content. Looks like you have quite a bit there.

Yes, and quite a bit more is on its way ... re-purposing much that was there before, and adding quite a bit more as I go.

I will have to come back later and check it all out

Please do! ... and let me know what you think. It's hard to create in a vacume, and any input is welcomed.

Rob
rjh

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:02 am

My mplayer refused to play DVDs, so I uninstalled it and compiled it from the latest source, and now it doesn't play anything :?

I'll have a look at your animations as soon as I can watch animations again.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:41 am

Mplayer is working again.

I had a look at some of the animations on your site. Interesting!
I like the coloring and surreal look of the characters. Sometimes motion is a bit jerky though - and I don't really know what they are about.
Have the 3D animations been made with JPatch?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Hey Sascha,

Mplayer is working again

woo hoo!! (an exclamation of joy...)

I had a look at some of the animations on your site. Interesting!
I like the coloring and surreal look of the characters.

Thanks! Most of my material is a bit odd, and you may have to watch an animation several times to get the story (I agree that they are a bit ambiguous).

Sometimes motion is a bit jerky though

Typically intentional. I do not want everthing to be too smooth.

Have the 3D animations been made with JPatch?

Yes, all 3D animations that are accessible from the site (currently) are done with Jpatch. Thanks for the feedback! Try back often for updates, and additional animations done with Jpatch.

Rob
rjh

Postby sascha » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Jerky was perhaps the wrong word. I'll give you an example: I like the dancing of the flower (?) in badday. But altough I like the look of the characters in fast traffic, I think how the arms are animated looks wrong. Difficult to do with morphs only though. I guess that would be a typical applications for bones.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:32 pm

Hey Sascha,

I like the dancing of the flower

Thanks!

But altough I like the look of the characters in fast traffic, I think how the arms are animated looks wrong

Agreed; that was one of my very first Jpatch animations, and the blending was not done properly. Take a look at "Itinerary". The opening animation (after the title sequence) shows the same character walking towards the Itinerary. I used the same key morphs, but with different blending between them. It seems a bit smoother, but I agree that bones should perform the task better. I cannot wait until then! Thanks again for the feedback!.

Rob
rjh

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:49 pm

I like these animations. What did you use to render them?
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby rjh » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:58 am

I like these animations

Thanks!

What did you use to render them?

BMRT 2.6. It is what first introduced me to Renderman (at version 2.3 or around there). It is sad that it is no longer developed, but it is still quite capable.

Rob
rjh

Return to Image gallery