Hourglass

Post rendered images that contain models made with JPatch.

Hourglass

Postby pndragon » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:57 pm

Another example that we don't have to use our own tutorials for model ideas...

Rendered with 3Delight, I'm still trying to get the glass shader to come out right. The sand was a quick addition that still needs work as you can tell from the creases.

The Pov-Ray render (not posted) was beautiful except for one little detail. I have no idea how to texture anything with that particular renderer. The glass came out excellent though.
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:58 am

The Pov-Ray version with improved sand.
pndragon

Postby sascha » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:07 am

Very nice! Glass only comes out well with raytracers. 3Delight can do raytracing as well, but you have to enable it in the RIB file - I did it once but can't remeber right now - IIRC there's an example in the docs. You'd have to write a shader that uses the trace function. I once started to write a JPatch shader that uses all the (POV-Ray centric) material properties JPatch allows to define. It worked well with 3Delight but crashed with other renderers (e.g. Pixie), but I'll give another try when I have time.

As for POV-Ray textures: Its texturing system isn't quite as powerfull as RenderMan's shaders, but it's quite easy to program. You basically start with a pattern - like "gradient", "wood", "marble", etc., attach a color_map to it and can use the turbulence keyword to add some fractional brownian motion. You can also combine different textures in several ways (using pigment- or texture_maps or by averaging or layering them). You can transform and scale the texure independent from the textured object - normally you've got to scale it to fit the size of the object.

POV-Ray has an excellent documentation that should get you started, and also some include files with predefined textures.
Alternatively you could download PovMan, its a patched POV-Ray version that has (limited) support for RenderMan shaders.

BTW: For the glass. I'm not quite sure, but it looks like your hourglass is filled with glass - that is, it's an entirely solid object made of glass, not only a glass container - it's due to the refraction. To make something like a glass bottle, you'd have to extrude a closed curve:
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:02 pm

You're right. It is filled with glass. The last time I tried to make a double-walled glass construct, it brought down the renderer, back when Inyo first got added to jpatch.

Habits die hard :oops:

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:38 pm

pndragon wrote:The last time I tried to make a double-walled glass construct, it brought down the renderer, back when Inyo first got added to jpatch.
Heh... You're image immediately brought that bug back to mind. :?

When the Inyo export gets fixed in the modeler, one of the things I hope to be adding is a fresnel effect, so (for example) the reflection component of the glass increases with the incident angle. There are a number of other Brazil-inspired materials (like two-toned paint and a "ghost" material) I want to add that rely on the fresnel value.

Faked chromatic dispersion is also on the "To Do" list.
dcuny

Postby Torf » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Looks nice, especially the raytraced version with the improved sand. IMHO the "gap" between the upper and lower part should be a bit smaller, though. You might also want to add some carvings to the wooden frame, like this:
Torf

Postby pndragon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:05 pm

I agree with you 100%. But I am not working on the model itself any more until I can get the shader to work. For some reason, I cannot seem to get the glass shaders that shipped with 3Delight to render quite right. The one in the posted picture is glassbal.sl and it really looks more like a soap bubble.

glass.sl renders the reflected lightsource beautifully but is a nice solid black! No transparency at all. I get the same effect from glass_prman.sl.

I'll have to write my own.

My wife says I've become obsessed.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:16 pm

pndragon wrote:My wife says I've become obsessed.

Ouch, lives are the sworn enemy of modelers :)

I like the pov render, but I agree that the glass looks solid
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby pndragon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:47 pm

If anyone is interested, after much frustration and experimentation, I have found that the 3delight glass shader does not like quadrilaterals... It will accept bi-cubic patches.

--- Jim
pndragon

finally

Postby pndragon » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:31 pm

The lighting could be better... the model is very simple but at least it is done.

--- Jim
pndragon

Return to Image gallery