The sculptor

Post rendered images that contain models made with JPatch.

The sculptor

Postby kl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:27 am

kl

Postby pndragon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:51 am

That is truly awesome...

Words fail me.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:26 am

That link doesn't work for me :(
sascha
Site Admin

Postby kl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:49 pm

I use port 88 instead of the default port 80.
Does your firewall block port 88?
kl

Postby sascha » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:28 pm

No, my proxy doesn't forward it :-)

Anyway, I've found a way to view the page, but if your webserver isn't secure I wouldn't use any port, and if it is secure there's nothing wrong with port 80.

WOW! The models are awesome!
But in my opinion the images are way too dark. If there's nothing wrong with the gamma settings of your renderer and the dark mood is intentional: It's still too dark. I mean, the images have to little dynamic - if you like to keep the images dark, I'd add some bright spots (e.g. by using some bright light from the back, causing thin, sharp, but bright rim-lights).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:12 pm

I agree with Sascha - the modeling is great, but the lighting is rather odd, like nothing you'd find in real life.

Since you're using POV-Ray, have you considered using global illumination (photons) for lighting your scene?
dcuny

Postby rjh » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:26 pm

Sascha wrote: Anyway, I've found a way to view the page

Alright guys, help me out here. I cannot view this page, and I want to see what the hubub is about!

=>

I've had my head down doing animations lately with minimum modeling, but much experimentation. Re-working my web site as well; the next iteration will be less cluttered and more streamlined.

... but I digress ...

Sascha - How did you find "a way to view the page"?

Rob
rjh

Postby kl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:00 pm

Not for security reason. My ISP blocked port 80 after the "code red" worm few years ago.
I will upload it to a public web server (but it doesn't support FTP :cry: , I hate uploading via browser)

It looks ok in LCD but It is way too dark in a CRT monitor.
I may adjust the lighting so it will look better in CRT (at the moment I'll simply ask the viewer adjust thier monitor brightness/contrast :P ) .
kl

Postby kl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Questions:

1. I don't use assumed_gamma, is it the problem?

2. What number should I use? 2.2?

2. My output file is BMP, I use ImageMagick to convert it to jpg, should I specify gamma correction in ImageMagick as well?
kl

Postby sascha » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:36 am

Sascha - How did you find "a way to view the page"?

I have the root password of the proxy server :wink:

I've viewed it on a TFT screen (with color management set to sRGB) and it still looks too dark. This is, of course, my subjective opinion.

I've never really understood the meaning of POV-Rays gamma settings, but I'm aware that it may look different on PCs and MACs. Before I print out any image, I usually load it into an application that supports color-management (e.g. Photoshop), manually correct brightness and contrast, and then send it to a shop to print it (because I always send it to the same shop, I know that their printouts will appear a bit darker than the images on my monitor, so I try to compensate for that before I send the images).

In this case however, I don't think that it's really related to gamma settings, I think the lighting is just not optimal. As I said, if you like to keep the dark mood, I'd still add some back-lights. You could start with a basic three point light setup and experiment with it - e.g. make the key-light a bit less bright, maybe add a second back- or rim-light, etc.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby kl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:43 pm

ok, I think I kind of understand the gamma thing.

Only PNG format will carry the gamma information. It also depends on the browser or image viewer want to support the gamma correction (I think IE and firefox do. btw, I found that IE and firefox render the images slightly different in color, but it is another issue).

Since BMP/JPG do not carry gamma information, the only thing we can do is to choose a Display_gamma value during the rendering. Google the keyword assumed_gamma and Display_gamma if you want to read more about it .

I have changed the gamma of the images.
Take a look! Give them a second chance :?

also, Rob, I uploaded the images to a public site.
http://members.cox.net/kcl8901/web/3d/sculptor/
kl

Postby kl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:53 pm

sascha wrote:As I said, if you like to keep the dark mood, I'd still add some back-lights. You could start with a basic three point light setup and experiment with it - e.g. make the key-light a bit less bright, maybe add a second back- or rim-light, etc.

Good tips. Thanks!
kl

Postby sascha » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:57 pm

The thumbnails look a bit brighter now, but the real images are still very dark :?
Take a look! Give them a second chance

I didn't say that I don't like them! The models are great, and some of the compositions are very nice! My only complaint is about lighting - I'd adjust some light intensities (or add other lightsources to the scene), but that is, as I said, just my subjective opinion: Art is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like the lighting, just keep it!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Here's what I mean:
This is an old (still unfinished) model I've started to create with JPatch. I've used the somewhat extreme rim-lights to see if the tesselation was good enough (obviously there are some self-shadowing artifacts). But I think it might help to illustrate what I mean: Even if the face was darker (the key and fill lights less intense), the back/rim lights would still give a nice shilouette and aid to distinguish the fore- from the background.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby kl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:46 pm

I get what you mean.

BTW, abaut your model, how did you get the clothing fits so nice ? you know, something can easily poke out. I have trouble to give mine even a pair shorts.
kl

Next

Return to Image gallery