Site Problems

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

Site Problems

Postby pndragon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Has anyone else been having problems connecting to this site? The night (or day in Sascha's case) before last, it was closed completely and a message up about about maintenance.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: Site Problems

Postby sascha » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:07 pm

I've noticed several short outages over the past few days, most of the time "only" the database was affected (the forum uses the database of course, so it's been down too), but sometimes the entire site was unreachable. It only lasted a few minutes each time though.
But now you mentioned it, I've scanned my email, and in fact they've informed me about a 2 hour planned downtime for Oct 23rd. I'll try to read my mail more regularly and post notes about scheduled downtimes in the future.

Let me know if there are any more problems. All in all I'm quite happy with them, downtimes are rare and the site seems to be quite fast, nothing compared to sourceforge, so IMHO it's worth the €5/month.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:11 pm

I've seen the same thing. The site response is often slow, and sometimes it just hangs with a blank page. I saw the same SQL errors a couple of days ago.

Usually refreshing takes care of the problem, bit it's becoming a bit of an irritation. One of my posts last night simply failed to show up - I suspect it ran into the same issues.
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:52 pm

I'm still having a lot of problems with the site.
When I initially loaded it, none of the style sheets were applied (I assume that the load timed out). I logged on, and after about 15 seconds got a blank screen. I don't think it's my connection, since I run into the same problems at home and at work.

The problem is intermittent, because during the same session, it can also serve pages back quickly. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:32 am

It seems to be that they use some kind of loadbalancer - which obviously has problems detecting faulty nodes. I guess this is the reason for most of the described effects (e.g. not seeing a style-sheet, etc.) and also explains why reloading often solves the issues. I hope that their "maintenance activities" are finished soon, I'm going to drop them an email.

If a post doesn't show up, clicking on the back button usually restores the form contents (at least on Firefox), so you can try to send it again without loosing the text you've written.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:03 am

sascha wrote:If a post doesn't show up, clicking on the back button usually restores the form contents (at least on Firefox), so you can try to send it again without loosing the text you've written.

Yes, the only problem was that I had written it in a tab, and then closed it.

By the way, the friendly grammar police remind you that losing is the word you wanted to use here. (It's a very common typo). ;)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:28 am

Yes, that's the problem with spellcheckers.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Seems to get worse every day, I've opened a support request. :|
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks. Last night as I was trying to log in (6:00AM Pacific Standard Time) the site was completely dead for about 5 minutes.

This afternoon it's better, but still slow - about 10 seconds between the "Preview" and the redisplay. :|
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:50 pm

They're telling me that they can "move my account to a new cluster" - which would make the site unavailable for 24 hours.
It's rather discomforting that they don't tell me what's wrong (well, they've told me that there's nothing wrong, but I insisted). Anyway, I've said that I agree, so the site might be down for some hours.

I hope that this will fix the issues, otherwise I'll have to start looking for a new host again :? Suggestions?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Have they made the improvements? I can't tell... :|
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:33 am

I wrote a little monitoring script. It shows that http requests to http://www.jpatch.com work fine (so your issues with css' not loading, etc. should be gone), but on forum.jpatch.com there are outages. I don't think that it's an http problem, I rather think it's related to the forum and/or the database. I'll upgrade phpBB to the latest release-candidate and I'll try to setup another monitoring script to explicitly test the database connection.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Yesterday I couldn't access the web-site's control panel, I couldn't even log in. I've emailed the provider (I could not create a trouble ticket because I was unable to log in), and guess what I've got in reply: I should, please, log in and file a support request. :evil:
Today the entire site was down (I don't know for how long). And now there seems to be database problems again. I guess I'll have to switch to another provider sooner than intended :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:50 am

Today the forum was down. It appears that the index.php file of phpBB was truncated :?
Anyway, I've taken the opportunity and upgraded to phpBB3.0 (previously this site ran a release candidate).

Everything should be up and running again - the only thing I've noticed is that some of the Smiley images are gone - I'll try to fix that.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Could you also change back to the old icon set? The icons with the red outline to indicate a new post are way too subtle.
dcuny

Next

Return to Webpage