phpBB3

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

phpBB3

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I've upgraded to phpBB3, please let me know that you're still able to log in and post messages. Thank you!
sascha
Site Admin

Re: phpBB3

Postby pndragon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:17 pm

It looks really nice. It surprised me a bit when I saw it.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:25 pm

I can see it, all right.

It generally seems to look nicer, but it's harder to see the "new message" icon. The older version had a solid (filled in) icon, which offered a lot more contrast. The current theme is too subtle, at least for me early in the morning. ;)

Other than that, it seems to be an overall improvement. I see the Upload Attachment icon - I'm curious to see what else is new.

Edit: What's this "colour" stuff? I tried changing my settings in the User Control Panel, but the only language option is British English! If you're going to enforce monolingualism on this board, it should be my version of English! :P
dcuny

Postby rjh » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Well this is an interesting look ... and yes, I seem to be able to logon and reply.

Rob
rjh

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Cool, nice to see everybody again ;-)

I mainly upgraded because of the attachments feature, let's see if if works. With previous releases (2.0.x), the attachment mod had to be re-installed which each of the many security related upgrades, and at one point I've lost all attachments.

David should be an administrator and pndragon a "global moderator" (you can be an administrator too if you like, I don't even know the difference really). I had some fights with the new permissions system, so could you please check if there are administration and/or moderation links available to you?

I've noticed the issue with the "new posts" icon and I too think that it's too subtle (this way I'll miss even more new messages :wink:). I'll see what I can do (this is a release candidate, so perhaps they change the icons before the final release).
Attachments
teapot_ok.png
image attachment test
teapot_ok.png (52.84 KiB) Viewed 7877 times
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:45 pm

I had a quick look. They've expanded the moderation a bit, so you can ban people, set warnings, and so on. Hopefully that won't have to be used. It's also easier to see what IP addresses are being used, and what users share IP addresses. In general, it looks fairly easy to use.

How effective is the system at keeping 'bots off? My wxBasic board is now filled up with thousands of unregistered 'bots. It's fairly easy in SQL to delete them, but a bit of a pain to log into the Sourceforge system. I'd be willing to upgrade (once 3.0 is official) just for that option.

Hopefully there'll be no problem with the attachments this time. It was a lot easier to use them than to have to FTP everything over to my website. A couple of things I noticed:

• The code tag offers the option to copy everything in the tag.
  • The img tag clips images to the size of the display, instead of expanding the display.
  • The text editing field seems to be a bit wider.
  • In Edit mode, prior posts have a smaller area, but there's an [/i]Expand/Collapse View[/i] option for reverting to the old style.
Overall, I like the changes. :)

Did you change the "JPatch" logo? It seems the "Patch" portion is a bit smaller, and the letters look a bit more jittered. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:53 pm

How effective is the system at keeping 'bots off?

I've had an "advanced CAPTCHA" mod running (for new user registrations) which seemed to keep the bots off (the original phpBB CAPTCHA has been broken using OCR long time ago). This new version seems to have a better CAPTCHA than version 2's default, let's see how well it works. I've seen that there's a "plugin" for reCaptcha too, at least for version 2.

Did you change the "JPatch" logo?

No :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Google and yahoo have been crawling all over the site since the board change. The old phpBB never registered bot names before.
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:10 pm

Google and yahoo have been crawling all over the site since the board change. The old phpBB never registered bot names before.

Yes, it seems that it treats spiders specially now. Hopefully Google will finally index the entire forum.
it's harder to see the "new message" icon. The older version had a solid (filled in) icon, which offered a lot more contrast.

I've tinted all the *unread*.gif icons with a yellow tone, could somebody post a new massage please so that I can see if it worked?
Edit: What's this "colour" stuff? I tried changing my settings in the User Control Panel, but the only language option is British English! If you're going to enforce monolingualism on this board, it should be my version of English!

I wanted to upload an "American English" locale, but the homepage says that the "American" language pack is identical to the "British" one. Go figure! :P
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:34 am

They look good! As soon as I saw it, I thought "D'oh! Of course, he could just change them himself!". :mrgreen:
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 pm

I noticed that it took multiple attempts to reply to your post this morning. It finally "took", but I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm fairly certain that I pushed the Submit button. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I've notices that it feels a bit slow at times, but I'm not sure. Please keep an eye on it and let me know if something's not working.
I guess that there's no way back, but the final release of phpBB3 should be out soon.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 pm

It was interesting, waking up this morning and finding that I had a change of position (please send my pay check to a numbered account in Switzerland). I will miss the "global" part though... it sounded so much more, well, world dominating, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

--- Jim
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Webpage