Update Front Page?

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

Update Front Page?

Postby dcuny » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Do you think it's time to update the front page? The first blurb stills says:
JPatch Front Page wrote:JPatch is a spline based 3D modeling tool (a patch modeler). It can be used to create 3D models for POV-Ray or RenderMan® compatible renderers (e.g. Aqsis).
It would be a good to emphasize in the first paragraph that the focus of JPatch is on animation, and that it's moved to SDS:
    JPatch is a tool for modeling, animating, and rendering 3D computer animation. Although initially created for 3D spline modeling, JPatch is now based on Catmull Clark subdivision surfaces (SDS).
Thoughts? I know that you don't want to emphasize JPatch as being a renderer, but I think it's an important selling point for people who are looking for something that can be an integrated solution. :?
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:45 pm

JPatch is a tool for modeling, animating, and rendering 3D computer animation. Although initially created for 3D spline modeling, JPatch is now based on Catmull Clark subdivision surfaces (SDS).
This can't be posted because a Jpatch modeller using Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces is not available for download.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:25 am

I'm aware of that. Immediately after the initial description should be the current and future functionality.

But the current description is that JPatch is a modeler, not an animation program. I'd like part of be fixed, so people don't get the impression that it's primarily for modeling.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 am

I agree that the page should be updated, but I also see pndragong's point that it should reflect the current state as well (and should not advertise features that are not available now).

I'll rewrite the paragraph starting with "JPatch is work in progress...", and the current and future features lists.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:23 am

I agree that it should be very clear what the application currently does. It's disappointing to download some software based on some features that it claims to have, only to discover that it's not there yet. :?

Part of my motivation is to get other people excited about JPatch, or at least not dismiss it out of hand. Making the direction (and a rough timeline) clear on the main page does that. It also gives casual visitors an idea how things are going on the project and when to visit back again, without having to make them dig through the forums for information.

The other motivation is getting Sascha to commit in writing to features. He's already announced on the forum the plans for JPatch, but putting it on the front page (for the world to see) puts a bit more pressure on him to get things done. ;)

Of course, I understand there are other, more important things in life than coding JPatch. :P
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:47 pm

I've updated the front page - let me know if you think it's ok or if I should change something.

I'll also update the download section, add the latest 0.5.3 version (and mark it experimental - all 0.5.x versions are buggy and overwriting an existing file with them might result in loss of your work).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:27 pm

I guess what I'm aiming for is some sort of statement which would get the right sort of people excited about JPatch. You can always add caveats after the initial vision ("We're not quite there yet"), but it should give people a good flavor of what JPatch is about, as well as what it's not about.

Sascha (mostly) wrote:My vision is to provide free tools for collaboration on real "open source" movies. JPatch is the first milestone to that goal, an easy to use tool for creating 3D character animation.

Thanks for fixing the Wiki writeup. :)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:51 pm

My vision is to provide free tools for collaboration on real "open source" movies. JPatch is the first milestone to that goal, an easy to use tool for creating 3D character animation.

I don't know if this should loom large from the frontpage - I somehow fear that it would provoke a lot of "ha-ha, you're never gonna make it; why not just use A:M/Maya/Max/Blender/whatever instead; etc." sort of messages (I've already got some of them when I started writing JPatch and only pointed out that some day I'd like to do animation with it).

So I'd like to wait until a 0.7 release is out. I'll also keep the Oscar-speech I wrote a secret until then :wink:
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Fair enough.

But i don't know why you'd care what people say, since it's what you do that matters. So far, they've been wrong. 8)
dcuny

Return to Webpage