jpatch.org

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

jpatch.org

Postby sascha » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Looks like someone has registered the jpatch.org domain and configured a "JPatch homepage" that contains a link to the jpatch.com site.
I've seen that the domain was unoccupied a few months ago, but unfortunately have been too slow to register it.
I think I'll contact the owner of jpatch.org and ask him if I could have it.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 am

It looks like it's an ad-revenue generating site, so I'm guessing it's a for-profit sort of thing. It's pretty obvious that they're just cybersquatting, so you can probably protest the ownership of the site if you wanted to.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am

That's what I thought too. But then there is no ad on the site, and they are even nice enough to obfuscate my email-address.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Hrm? :? I count eleven ads on the page, and there's probably resource for using the Google search bar as well. Across the top of the page are links for the following (all generating income from Google when they are clicked):
  • 3D Modelling
  • Cartoon 3D Animation
  • 3D Room
  • 3D Product Rendering
  • 3D Head
On the left hand side, there's ads for:
  • Download Free 3D CAD
  • 3D Converters: Lightwave
  • Free 3D Software Download
  • Neoscape
  • Architectural Rendering
On the right hand side, there's an ad for NextEngine, and there's an Advertise on this site ad as well. All of these generate revenue for each page hit, and more for each time a link is clicked. :evil:
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Interestingly, Slashdot has domain parking as a topic. Nothing useful on how you might be able to "unpark" the domain, though.

Perhaps you could complain to Google, since all the revenue seems to be coming from them?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 am

:shock: Jeez!

The good news is: Adblock Plus works like a charm. ;-)

I'm quite sure that Google doesn't give a damn about how their ad-revenue is generated. I will contact the domain registrar, but I guess they won't care too. After all, jpatch.com is not apple.com - I don't have an army of lawyers at hand.

I hope that the number of people visiting the mock JPatch page is small, and that the number of people who actually click an ad is even smaller (or the number of adblock users high). Hopefully their income is less than the 9 bucks registration fee, so they'll eventually drop the domain.

Of course there are no sponsored ads on the real JPatch homepage. I don't earn anything if someone follows the links to POV-Ray, Firefox, etc. - just to clarify that.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Webpage