Forum Visitors - Bots or Humans?

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I've deleted about 5 posts, and this is only my second time here today.

If I remember right, the registration process is not painful, so there is no reason not require it. Wow, that was a triple negative.
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby pndragon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:26 am

sascha wrote:What's your opinion, shall I disallow guest posts again?
I myself can see arguments both for and against guest posting.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:18 am

I took out two spambot messages this morning, as well as a couple of user accounts from bots. I just removed three more spambot posts. :?
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 pm

I have to say that at least one of the posts I deleted today was a little different than some of the others. Not better, just different.
I have to eat, sorry
Followed by a long line of links.

--- Jim
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:56 pm

I've also seen a number long jokes, followed by a link. If they weren't obscene (or at least funnier) I'd have left the joke and deleted the link. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:46 pm

I've also seen some spam with jokes (one of them was even funny, but I can't remember it anymore). Anyway I've deleted them too.
And since 100% of the anonymous posts were spam, I've disabled that feature again :(
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:52 pm

sascha wrote:And since 100% of the anonymous posts were spam, I've disabled that feature again :(

IMHO if somebody really cares about his questions getting answered or his opinions getting heard he'll have no problem with registering.

(Question to the native English speakers here: Is that 'cares'-construction correct? And if so, is that the way one would formulate such a sentence? Got my doubts about it :wink:)
Torf

Postby dcuny » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Torf wrote:IMHO if somebody really cares about his questions getting answered or his opinions getting heard he'll have no problem with registering.
The sentance is fine, but a more conversational style would place the sentance in past tense, and use you in a generic sense:
    IMHO if you really cared about your questions getting answered or your opinions getting heard you'd have no problem with registering.
Of course, asking a native English speaker is often the worst way to get good information about this sort of thing... ;)
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Of course, asking a native English speaker is often the worst way to get good information about this sort of thing... :wink:

That's not quite correct...
Asking an American about grammar isn't always a good idea 'cuz knows we can't talk English none too good. :lol:

--- Jim
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:13 pm

Some free english lessons - cool!
If I may jump in here, I've got another question :-)

"...if somebody really cares about his ... he'll have ..."

I wander if using his/he is politically correct. I think you can use one or you like the german man to stay gender-neutral (like in David's example) - Is this the way native english speakers deal with that problem in general?

I've seen some people using they or them, but it feels wrong to me because they're often mixing singular and plural (e.g. "if someone asks, tell them...")
So what's the usual "workaround"? Is using "his/her" or "he or she" common (IMHO it makes the sentences harder to read)?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:54 pm

:shock:
Shortly after disabling anonymous posting, I had to delete three spams from three newly registered users (and the user-accounts as well) - I consider enabling guest-postings again, deleting just the messages is less work :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:23 pm

sascha wrote:I wander if using his/he is politically correct. I think you can use one or you like the german man to stay gender-neutral (like in David's example) - Is this the way native english speakers deal with that problem in general?

Most English speakers use something like "If he/she...", but I use the plural "If they...". To be honest, I don't know if either is gramatically correct or not, but they are politically correct. Depends on which one you want to be :)

Oh yeah, it might have been a typo on your part, but it's "wonder", not "wander"
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby dcuny » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:50 am

sascha wrote::shock:
Shortly after disabling anonymous posting, I had to delete three spams from three newly registered users (and the user-accounts as well) - I consider enabling guest-postings again, deleting just the messages is less work :?
And I took out three new "users" this morning as well... Isn't there some sort of spambot filter available, like having to type letters on an image for phpbb yet? :?

So what's the usual "workaround"? Is using "his/her" or "he or she" common (IMHO it makes the sentences harder to read)?
There aren't any good workarounds yet. You can use she and her, and people will get the point that you're trying to be neutral, because it's a contrast with the traditional he/him. But it just takes the problem in the other direction.

I've seen some people using they or them, but it feels wrong to me because they're often mixing singular and plural (e.g. "if someone asks, tell them...")
It feels wrong, but it's not - it's probably the closest to a gender neutral word as you can get. Even when you choose a neutral term like "the user", you get this sort of thing:
    Tell the user to turn off their computer.
It doesn't help that you've got a confusing homonym like they're and there:
    Tell the user they're going to have to press the button there to turn off their computer. :P
Most people understand that English hasn't really got a good substitute, and it's more important that a sentance be clear and readable than politically correct.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:08 am

Isn't there some sort of spambot filter available, like having to type letters on an image for phpbb yet

Yes, there is - but it's implemented the phpbb way :?
Here's such an image:
After boosting the contrast and applying a blur-filter with GIMP it looks like this:
I'm sure that this isn't much of a problem for OCR. A little shell script utilizing ImageMagick and some OCR tool should easily decode this automatically. I'll have to upgrade to the latest version, let's hope they've improved the Turing test.

but it's "wonder", not "wander"

:oops: I was 99% sure that it was "wonder", I even looked it up in a dictionary to confirm that - only to type "wander" in the end...

Thanks for the hints for gender neutral pronouns!
...choose a neutral term like "the user"...

English's actually got an advantage over german here, because the german translation for "the user" is "der Benutzer" (which is masculin), and the feminin form would be "die Benutzerin", so you end up with constructs like "der/die Benutzer(in)" which becomes quite unreadable :-).
Even worse, the term "man" (which means "you" or "one" in a gender neutral way) sounds similar to "Mann" (man), so hardcode feminists object to it too :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 am

Well, you could probably generate your own graphics, since it's unlikely that anyone is going to write a routine to specifically crack this site. ;)

I've attached some examples I've grabbed off another site, for example.
Attachments
access1851245038.png
access1851245038.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
access1851233420.png
access1851233420.png (7.04 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
access1851220771.png
access1851220771.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
dcuny

PreviousNext

Return to Webpage