berlios.de

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

berlios.de

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Does anybody else share the impression that service availability here on berlios.de is even worse than it was on sourceforge.net?

Unfortunately going back to sourceforge is not an option because they've restricted their services such that neither this forum (it has to be able to send email from the webserver) nor the wiki (which must have write access on the webserver's filesystem) would run there anymore.

:cry:
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Yes, I find the site unaccessible quite often (point in case - today! ... several hours worth).

Could the forum & wiki be housed elsewhere and the main site on sourceforge? Just thinking out loud ...

Rob
rjh

Postby Torf » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:02 pm

Yep, BerliOS seems to be a bit unstable. But as you mention, it seems to be the only real option aside from running one's own server :shock: SF's new web space policy is just crazy :roll:
Torf

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:09 pm

Well, sf and berlios have been the sole two sites how offer hosting for any open source project and have web, mysql and csv services I could find. If there are more providers, please let me know.

I guess in the long run I'll have to pay the €5 per month for professional hosting :?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:44 pm

Yes, Berlios seems to have some pretty bad days. In fact, I was in the process of posting a comment along those lines last week, but Berilos "broke" and I wasn't able to access this site for the rest of the day. :roll:

In contrast, I've found that SourceForge has gotten a lot better over the last couple months. They've moved users off a single shared SQL Server, and around the new year they'll be moving to MySQL 4. Whether they can stay up and running remains to be seen. :?
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:11 am

And as if to prove the point, the site was unavailable for a number of hours after I posted my response... :(
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:21 am

The MySQL server for this forum's just been getting flakier over the last couple of days.

I still think that moving back to SourceForge might be a good move. They moved to MySQL 4.x at the start of this month, and they've partitioned MySQL servers between projects better than before.
    The changeover caught me by suprise, since they announced in October (the 8th month, 'cause "Oct" means eight) that the changeover was happening in November (the 11th month, a month before Christmas), so still had a couple months to get ready, right? Darned those pesky Roman emperors meddling with the calendar. :?
Anyway, most of my attempts to get into the forum for the last couple of days looked like this:
    phpBB : Critical Error

Error doing DB query userdata row fetch

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 2013 Lost connection to MySQL server during query

SELECT u.*, s.* FROM phpbb_sessions s, phpbb_users u WHERE s.session_id = 'e84356166a989f717acd042e227388d4' AND u.user_id = s.session_user_id

Line : 267
    File : sessions.php
Or more tersely:
    phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Which I've gotten a number of times while working on this post (I use preview a lot).

Of course, don't even think about doing anything until the next release of JPatch. ;)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am

Yes, I've also noticed it and filed in a support request - let's see what they respond - but I don't expect any miracles.
Of course, don't even think about doing anything until the next release of JPatch.

That's the point. I really don't have the time. It's not done with moving everything back to sourceforge (that's a matter of a few hours) - it's the new policy on sf that keeps me off: You can't send mail from the webserver anymore, so the forum will not fully work (the registration page tries to send emails, and you also need it for the "lost password?" feature). I'd have to change the forum sourcecode - and as we all know phpBB, they discover one critical security issue after the other, so I'd keep upgrading, applying my modifications, see if they work with the new version, and when they finally work I should upgare again...
The also have a new policy that everything on the webserver is readonly. This will make the Wiki unusable. Although there seems to be a workaround (moving the wiki to some presistent /temp directory) I really don't feel like it at the moment.

So, unless someone else volunteers to maintain the modifications needed in the forum- and the wiki-software (or imports all the data into a different CMS that is proven to run on sf) sourceforge is not an option.

My initial plan was to wait until JPatch gains more polularity and then ask some professional hosting servers if they'd host it free of charge (e.g. for a little "hosted by" ad on the homepage).
I'll wait some more days to see if they get a grip on the mysql issues here - If not I'll move the webpage and the database to a professional host (I think I can afford the €5/month) and move the CVS to sourceforge.

That is, unless you know another alternative. I'd need CVS (well, ok, that could remain on SF as it didn't make any problems in the past), Mysql and PHP, a possibility to send emails from the server, read/write access for php scripts and a shell aceess...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:10 pm

Sorry, no better suggestions. :?
dcuny

Return to Webpage