This site is now hosted at berlios.de

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

This site is now hosted at berlios.de

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:08 am

Hi,

due to the recent outages of sourceforge.net services (web, cvs, but most notably the database service needed to run this forum) I decided to move the JPatch homepage and database to a new host.
I'll move the CVS to the new site later and update the CVS access tutorial in the Wiki. File release/downloads will, for the time being, remain on Sourceforge.

If you can read this it means that everything worked well, nice to see you again!

I'll monitor the performance and reliability of the new site - If you're expirencing any problems, please let me know (post it here or send me an email).

Thanks for your patience!
-Sascha Ledinsky
sascha
Site Admin

Postby tee » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:06 am

boah this is much faster than sourceforge :D

there are problems logging in and posting replies (the page is redirected to (the sourceforge-)jpatch.com),
tee

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:39 am

there are problems logging in and posting replies (the page is redirected to (the sourceforge-)jpatch.com),

I see, I've temporarily changed the forum url to jpatch.berlios.de. I'll change it back to http://www.jpatch.com as soon as the DNS entry points to the new address (should be withing 24 hours). Thanks for noting that!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:40 pm

I made it! :D
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:48 pm

I made it!

Great ! :D

When I move the CVS as well, you'd need an account at http://developer.berlios.de to gain write access. (Looks exactly like sourceforge, doesn't it?)

I'll keep the sourceforge site as a "mirror". Maybe I manage to copy a "passive" (read-only) version of the forum and the wiki to the mirror as well once per day, http://www.jpatch.com will be redirected to this new site within the next 24 hours.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:52 pm

Btw, the new site feels quite responsive here (it's hosted in Germany). I hope they have some fat links to overseas as well - are there any (e.g. performance) problems when accessing it from e.g. the U.S. ?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby kl » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:53 am

it is quite responsive in the US too. Happy to see the site is back!
kl

Postby dcuny » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:46 am

I agree - the response time is as good as Sourceforge ever was.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:52 am

The DNS change didn't work. So it may take another 24 hours before jpatch.com points to the new server :(
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:49 pm

DNS change worked for me, and I no longer have to click a link in the forum then go get something to drink while I wait for the next page to load up. And I'm in the US
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Is anyone else having PHP error problems with the forum? I don't remember if this happened before the change, but every once in a while, doing normal forum stuff gives me an error, ususally "Can't connect to the database", so I hit back, then the same link, and it works.
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby dcuny » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:58 pm

Yes, unfortunately MySQL errors have been becoming more and more common. Sascha's already complained to the berlios folk about it.
dcuny

www.shells24.com

Postby sascha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:04 pm

Yes, alas, the database here at berlios.de is even more unreliable than it used to be on sourceforge :-(!
Since their staff didn't respond to my service request I'm again searching for a new host (sourceforge is unfortunately not an option because they've introduced some very restrictive policies that would make running the forum and the Wiki almost impossible).

Yesterday I registered for hosting on http://www.shells24.com and man, this was the worst expirence I've ever had when dealing with an online shop! Their system sent me wrong account information, so I could not log in - I opened a support ticket and only got incompetent and insulting replies - at the end I just wanted my money back (I've payed for one year), but they argued that I've already received some service, so I won't get the full money back :twisted:. I thought it's time to write a nice user comment about them on the site I got their url from, and guess what happened: Their manager called me on the phone! At least he agreed that I will get the money back. Ridiculous business...

Anyway, I hope that I can find some more reliable host for JPatch in the near future.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Webpage