Web Page Help

Anything related to the www.jpatch.com webpage or this forum.

Web Page Help

Postby pndragon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 pm

I don't think that more than basic skills in Mysql and PHP are required.
If some of the freely available content management and bug/feature tracking systems can be used on the JPatch homepage, I'd favor that over writing such systems from scratch. There are a number of issues though concerning the web hosting on sourceforge.net: For example, they now prohibit sending emails from the webserver, the suggested workaround is to write the emails into a database and have a cron job (running on the shell-server) send them out.
This would require adapting email related code in content management systems, but as a large number of projects are hosted on sourceforge I'm sure that there are "out of the box" solutions for this.
So I think what should be done is evaluating (and if necessary adapting) and installing tools and to integrate them into the homepage. This doesn't hurry, there are only two things that are relatively urgent (i.e. I'd like to have them up and running in, say, the next two or three months):
1) the phpbb forum can't send emails, see above. We'd need to check if someone's already patched it to support the sourceforge workaround.
2) A bug/feature-request tracking system. Bugzilla seems to be a bit too big, and I'm not sure if it also supports feature requests. But we should take a look at it (and also look out for alternatives).

I've you want to help I can grant you access to the project web-server, all you need is a sourceforge.net user account.

As I said, I am willing to help but... I will not make promises, other than to do my best...
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 pm

How do I get a sourceforge.net user account?

http://sourceforge.net/ is closed for maintenance
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm

Seems that they're online again. Just click on the "new user" link...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 pm

It seems to be just that link. It still keeps taking me back to a maintenance page...

However, after no longer assuming it was correct :oops:, I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new sourceforge users account....

I feel so grown up.
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:06 pm

Ok, I've added you to the project - well, I hope that pndragon is your sourceforge username as well... :?
Can you try logging in via ssh (should be installed on Linux, for Windows I can recommend putty) to jpatch.com?

The website is located at /home/groups/j/jp/jpatch/htdocs
Nothing special there, index.php is the main site, the phpbb forum is under forum/ and the wiki under wiki/.

I'll send you an email about the database (mysql server host and passwords) and some more information tomorrow...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 am

I'm able to login...
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Webpage