Release Candidate ;-)

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Release Candidate ;-)

Postby sascha » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:32 pm

the latest build can be downloaded from here:

http://www.jpatch.com/jpatch_20040922.jar

start with java -jar jpatch_20040922.jar

CHANGELOG:

8 Sep 2004
==========
* Added a "check model" function to the test menu. It will report any inconsistencies found in a model.
* Fixed some bugs causing inconsistencies in a model.

21 Sep 2004
===========
* When picking a controlpoint, an already selected one has priority (this makes it easier to work with multiple viewports)
* Moved the "synchronize viewports" menuitem to the main options menu
* Added a selections menu to the popup menu (select none/all, invert, extend,...)
* Fixed a bug in CloneCommonEdit.java
* Added flip x/y/z options
* Moved tools menu from main to popup

22 Sep 2004
===========
* Fixed bug (it was not possible to add a hook)
* Added quick'n'dirty Alias|Wavefront (obj) output

NOTES:

I'd like to release an "official" JPatch 0.3 soon. If I don't find any new bugs until, say, next weekend, I'll release this version via sourceforge file release tool.
Please download this "release-candidate" and test it (and report any bugs you may find!)

Alias|Wavefront .obj export:
This is a quick'n'dirty hack. It exports two files, an .obj file containing the geometry and a .mtl file containing the materials (which is referenced by the .obj file) - don't enter any file-extensions and use a sensible subdivision level (4 should be enough for most models).
It writes coordinates (v), (bogus) texture-coords (vt) and normas (vn), thus the resulting surfaces should connect quite smoothly.
There is no "real" connection between the individual patches, so re-computing the normals will not work.
Subdivision levels for five-point patches and patches on hook-curves is different that that of regular patches, this will produce small holes in the tesselated models.
JPatch has no idea about which side of a patch is the front and which is the back-side. Thus, some patches will appear back-facing. This is a problem in direct-3d based renderers as there is no "backfaceNormalFlip" option in direct-x (the backfacing patches will not be lit). It should work fine with openGl when backfaceNormalFlip is turned on. In either case, turn off backface-culling!

I'll work on a better polygon output which addresses these problems for the next version.

PS: Do you know any good (and free) openGl based .obj viewers for Windows or Linux?
Last edited by sascha on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:09 pm

As for the obj viewer, one option is to use Wings, or Anim8or. These modelers import the obj format.

This could also be a good option since I guess most people will use the obj exporter to export jPatch models to their favourite mesh-based modeler..
Alex

Postby dcuny » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:50 am

I played with the mirroring on the half-rabbit model a bit. There seems to be a bit of extra "junk" on the forehead, making it look a bit like a Klingon. :?

I was going to report that the Align Control Points was broken, because I was selecting the entire model, and it was collapsing everything. Dummy me... :roll: Actually, you could get it to work that way if you could set a tolerance factor - how close the point had to be to the axis - for it to be moved. Assuming that the tolerance was set to inifinity, that's exactly how it currently works. Or you could add a radio radio button for the options Move all points and Move Points Within ____ Units. (It would probably only be used by lazy people like me who have trouble picking control points).

I finally read the hint on the magnet tool... That's a spiff little tool! One thing I noticed was that if I select the Magnet, then another tool like Move, then Magnet again, the points are properly selected on the model, but the circle of influence isn't drawn. (It's a purely cosmetic bug).

The Open (new) and Open (keep) look new. Perhaps "append" would be a better word?

Neat stuff... I'll have to try out the .obj export feature later, when I get a bit more time to play with it. :D
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:40 am

I played with the mirroring on the half-rabbit model a bit. There seems to be a bit of extra "junk" on the forehead, making it look a bit like a Klingon.

:?:

I was going to report that the Align Control Points was broken...It would probably only be used by lazy people like me

The align controlpoints feature was designed for lazy people, otherwise they had to align each controlpoint individually using the snap-to-grid and y/z-locks :wink:

But ok, I'll think about it. The danger is that if the wrong points are snapped to the Y/Z plane, the auto-mirror would not work.

One thing I noticed was that if I select the Magnet, then another tool like Move, then Magnet again, the points are properly selected on the model, but the circle of influence isn't drawn.

Hmmm... strange... Will fix...

The Open (new) and Open (keep) look new. Perhaps "append" would be a better word?

Ok, I'll change that. English is not my native language, so please let me know of any bad mistakes or misleading wordings in JPatch or the documentation...

Once thing I'd like to change again is the point-picking behavior when a point close to the mouse-pointer is already selected: Right now it is a bit annoying when you intend to select a point close to the selected one - you can't and have to deselect the other point first... I thought I'd narrow down the influence for checking if the selected point is in range: Normally it looks for the closest point within 8 pixels, I thought for checking if the selected point is in range 3 or 4 pixels would be enough...

Thanks for testing!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:02 am

The bit about the rabbit: it looks like there's some junk on the forehead, but I could be wrong.

The only typo that jumps out is (ironically enough) the default status message:

Use ATL to move perpindiclar to screen plane
It should be:
    Use ALT to move perpendicular to screen plane
Oooh! The rotoscope has a scale and opacity slider. Spiff!

In the Selections bit, when you add a new selection, it would be nice if that selection were then selected on the list. As it currently is, when you select Add Current Selection you have to click the list on New Selection #n to rename it. It would be nicer if it were automatically selected.

t would also be nice if the list were sorted alphabetically, since it would be easier to find things.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:14 am

The bit about the rabbit: it looks like there's some junk on the forehead, but I could be wrong.

The question is: is it there before the auto-mirror action? Or in other words, is it also present in the original (not splitted) model?

In the Selections bit, when you add a new selection, it would be nice if that selection were then selected on the list. As it currently is, when you select Add Current Selection you have to click the list on New Selection #n to rename it. It would be nicer if it were automatically selected.

Well, JTree is not my friend :twisted:
I couldn't get it to not fire an tree-node-chaned (or something like that) event if a treenode was selected programmatically (not by a mouse-click) - so wired things happend when e.g. the undo manager selected another tree-node and by accident triggert various listener methods... At the end I had to turn it off, so tree-nodes can only be selected manually right now.

t would also be nice if the list were sorted alphabetically, since it would be easier to find things.

That sounds possible, but I don't like JTree at all, so who knows what happens... :?
sascha
Site Admin

re 20040922

Postby zmemw16 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:26 am

sorry, minor niggles / poss improvements

1. import model - it would be exceedingly useful if an imported(open-keep) model became the current selection and/or was perhaps appended to the selection list as maybe import.hh.mm ?
reason - its a nice feature, enhancement to/for usability

2. noticed i'm having to deselect a point in order to select
another, that is very close in display terms ( overlapping ?)

3. the time after right clicking to find the 'welding onto point' feels to have increased as well.

4. when welding, blue square seems to remain until some other action is performed

5. materials - it would be nice to be able to sample a patch's material and
be able to edit/save as a new material - maybe think gimp eye-dropper?

6. being able to lock a patch's material would be nice
maybe add high offset to material number code?

means that later you can select larger chunks and not worry about blasting some intricate detail that took hours to get just right :-)

7. autosave - save model every xx mins.
save as file_hhmm.sav, when model is formally saved, delete applicable file_*.sav files

finally can i 'borrow' a head for the pilot :-)

stephen
zmemw16

Postby sascha » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:42 am

1) Good idea, I'll implement that
2) I noticed that too, it will be changed
3) Should not - don't know, I'll have a look
4) I don't understand. What blue squares?
5) I thought about a copy (or clone) material feature. Is that what you mean?
6) I'll think about it
7) I good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it. I've got no expirence with multithreading, and care must be taken to not save during an edit operation. One solution may be to auto-save after each n-th (e.g. 30th) edit operation, so the edit itself can trigger auto-save once it is complete.
8) Sure, you can take the head model that comes with the JPatch distrbution.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
sascha
Site Admin

the list

Postby zmemw16 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:42 am

1,2,3 thanks

4 start jpatch, shift+A click somewhere and drag a spline out

the dragged point is left highlighted with a square, here it's light blue/cerise
i doubt if the appearance options change the colors for point states??

5. more a case of what material did i set that patch to, its what i want this patch to be

6. i suppose you could negate the material number and test before allowing editing/changing it, if locked invoke 'this patch is locked to material 'fred', release lock yes/no? '

default material is of course unlockable :-)
would also need to view model in terms of patches as opposed to a set of splines?

7 maybe yet another option
save how often ?
ultra paranoid/medium/low/you_set_it
equal to
save every op/every 5/every 15/enter a number

a new one, i ran out of selections yesterday, didn't fall over, just didn't
add a new selection
deleted one and then ok
nice to know it works correctly at the limit

stephen
zmemw16

Re: Release Candidate ;-)

Postby miyoken » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:34 pm

Hi,
This is hamaPatch;
http://miyoken5.hp.infoseek.co.jp/hamass.jpg

And I exported as spt.Then I import to Jpatch;
http://miyoken5.hp.infoseek.co.jp/jPatchss.jpg

Something is wrong..

miyoken
miyoken

Postby sascha » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:19 pm

In version 0.3 I've changed the way JPatch computes tangents. The previous version used the same method as sPatch (and I think hamaPatch uses the same one too).
The new version uses a new method, which is a bit like that one used in Animation:Master (but IMHO better :D)
This explains why the model looks different.
Currently there's nothing you can do about it, but there would be two possible solutions:
1) The sPatch like code is still there, and it's even possible to switch the tangent mode (per controlPoint). I removed this option because I thought it would be too confusing, but I could add it again easily. E.g. under popup-menu/selections/tangent-mode sPatch or JPatch... imported sPatch models could default to the sPatch mode.

2) "Convert" the tangent magnitude values during sPatch import. But this would only solve half of the problem, as the new method not only interprets "magnitude" differently, but also computes different directions of the tangents.

Thus, I think )1 would be the way to go.

The other thing is: In your screenshot it seems that the materials (or colors) haven't been converted correctly, is this true?

Thanks
-Sascha
sascha
Site Admin

Re: the list

Postby sascha » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:07 pm

a new one, i ran out of selections yesterday, didn't fall over, just didn't
add a new selection
deleted one and then ok
nice to know it works correctly at the limit

There's no limit. I tried to add more than 1000 selections and did not run into any troubles?
How many selections were there?
sascha
Site Admin

slection count

Postby zmemw16 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:31 am

if i believe grep and wc - about 79

from what i recall, i'd selected a bunch of points, clicked new selection

this usually adds 'new selection #1' or something similar to bottom of list.

well i couldn't find it, so I deleted a selection, repeated and it then worked as expected, hence the post.

will next issue include source ? and a build file(pretty please) ??

stephen
zmemw16

Postby sascha » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:02 pm

if i believe grep and wc - about 79

can you send me the file via email?
thanks -sascha
sascha
Site Admin

another one....

Postby sascha » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

NEW *** RC2
http://www.jpatch.com/jpatch_03_rc2.jar

CHANGELOG:

26 Sep 2004
===========
* (Re)Added sPatch tangent mode (new tangents menu item in popup menu, changed xml import/export code)
* Open-keep (append) now creates a new selection for the appended model
* Changed radius of influence for hot controlpoint (for picking controlpoints) to 4 pixel (all other points have 8 pixel, but hot one has priority)
* Undo stack will now be cleared upon appending a new model.

27 Sep 2004
===========
* Automirror now mirrors (or extends) selections too
* Fixed typos, renamed "Open (keep)" to "Open (append)" in Main Menu
* Added tests for selections and patches to the ModelTester code

This should be one of the last chances to find bugs before I release it ;-)

I'll try to finish my head model (see my post in WIP) - to see if I run into any bugs (I ran into one a few days ago, but couldn't reproduce it... :? ). I'll also work on the docs and on packaging everything for the release...
sascha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beta