Can't render with POV-Ray

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Can't render with POV-Ray

Postby squirrelhavoc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:36 am

in 0.5.2cvs, I am trying to render a still and then an animation using pov-ray, and pov-ray just plays a low chime sound (like an error sound), then exits before the splash screen disappears, so I tried it with megapov, and it said "Expected '>', found end of file", and it started up with stdin loaded and empty.

Actually exporting a model as a pov-ray file works, just trying to render it doesn't.
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Squirrelhavoc.

I've no time to try it out right now, but I'll do it tomorrow and let you know what I found out...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:04 am

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I did test it with the last version of JPatch I put on the server (jpatch_20060527.jar)
and POV-Ray 3.5 (Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.5.0c-10build1 (Debian i486-linux-gnu-gcc)) and had no problems rendering frames or animations.

Does the problem happen everytime you try to render a frame/animation, or just with a particular animation? If it only happens with a particular animation, can you send me the file?

If not, let me know - maybe it's a problem with the Windows version of POV-Ray - I'll try it again on Windows then...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:34 am

It happens with any model it looks like, and I tried the latest stable official Povray and latest megapov, neither worked. When the progress screen in jpatch comes up (the window with the image window on the top of it and text output on the bottom), it doesn't take any time to export to povray, it just shows the text then immediately starts the renderer.

I am running WinXP SP2 with Java 1.5SE
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:24 pm

Ok, I'll have to try it on windows. The recent versions use pipes instead of temporary files to pass the geometry to the renderer, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a problem on windows (or the windows version of POV-Ray). I'll have a look and let you know...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Indeed. At least povray rendering did not work with the piped mode (sending the geometry directly to the renderer via POV-Ray's STDIN.
I've added a new setting in settings/export called "usePerFrameFiles" - when set to "true" JPatch will create a geometry file per frame in the working directory and use this file as input for the renderer...

Could you please try it out and let me know if this does fix your problem?

If yes, I'll put in "officially" online.

PS: I've noticed that this version is a bit chatty (dumps out a lot of debugging info), I'll fix that too...

You can download it from here:
http://www.jpatch.com/temp/jpatch053_0.jar
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:14 am

Hmm ok, I tried the new jar you provided, with the new setting enabled. The text output in the render output window gave me this:

Rendering New Animation000000 using POV-Ray.
Working directory is "C:\Documents and Settings\Linda\Desktop".
Invoking POV-Ray with:
C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\bin\pvengine.exe /RENDER C:\Documents and Settings\Linda\Desktop\New_Animation000000.pov /NORESTORE /EXIT +ONew_Animation000000.png +W640 +H480 -D -P +FN8 +A0.3 +AM2 +R2 +J1.0
Environment variables:

>>>>>>>>>> Begin of POV-Ray output >>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<< End of POV-Ray output <<<<<<<<<<

Like before, the pov-ray splash screen shows up, the computer beeps, then it closes. Since there was no output, I didn't know what to report, so I started up pov-ray manually, then told jpatch to render the scene. Pov-ray loaded the scene file, but didn't render, and the console window didn't have anything in it. When I told pov-ray to render the file, it rendered just fine.

Could something be wrong with my settings in pov-ray, jpatch's export settings, or something wrong with my pov-ray installation?
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 am

Ok, I'll have to try this again.
If you have megapov installed, can you try it with megapov too (and set the POV-Ray version in JPatch from "windows" to "unix")?

My first guess is that POV-Ray has problems with the whitespace in the path to the file (in "...Documents and Settings..."). Since it's already the working directory, I think I could leave the path out and just pass the filename over (I know that it has problem with whitespace in the filename, that's why I replace each " " with "_").
I'll have a look...

One interesting thing is that the windows version of POV doesn't output anything to STDOUT - it simply puts everything into the internal "console" window, but there it is inaccessible to external applications.
And than there's the annoying splash screen and the fact that it pops up the GUI editor all the time - but this has already caused endless arguments on the pov-ray newsgroups, with no sign of understanding on the POV-Team side :? Their usual reasoning is that someone could write a wrapper around POV-Ray and sell it for money, and the user wouldn't know that it actually uses POV-Ray (which can be downloaded for free).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 am

Hmm, I could have sworn I tried megapov and had similar results, but I thought I would try again anyway, and it looks like it worked just fine. So I will just use megapov until we can figure out whats wrong with pov-ray
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:57 am

Ok, next try :-)

This one should fix the windows-povray issues and also fixes the annoying flickering when scaling the opengl viewports.

On the other hand, undo/redo in the modeler is broken :roll:

http://www.jpatch.com/temp/jpatch0.5.3_02.jar

Let me know if it works!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Hmm still not working, pov-ray starts, but doesn't load anything or display any messages. It beeps though, but that's it.

EDIT: I just noticed the exported scene file on the desktop, so I loaded it up and rendered it, and it worked just fine. So I assume the problem is in the calling of pov-ray. Here is the calling line from the console:

C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\bin\pvengine.exe /RENDER New Animation000000.pov /NORESTORE /EXIT +ONew_Animation000000.png +W640 +H480 -D -P +FN8 +A0.3 +AM2 +R2 +J1.0

And the working directory is the desktop, just like it should be.
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:03 am

:shock:

That's strange - I did try it out on my windows box and it worked!
Looks like this time the underscore in New_Animation000000.pov is missing - aarrrggghhh. I'll have another look.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby animohn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:31 pm

This may or may not be related to the problem here, but having not played with Jpatch in a while I thought i'd try it out again. I can't get any renders with 20060519 20060523, 20060527, or 05.3_02 using any renderer inyo, povray, renderman. Always the same result. I get:

Rendering New Animation000000 using Inyo.
Working directory is "C:\!test\jpatch20060523.jar".
Invoking Inyo.
Done. Saving file "New Animation000000.png".

But nothing is ever saved

I'm running win xp
animohn

Postby sascha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:30 am

:shock:

What's that "!" in the filename? Could you try it with a working directory without specail characters, just to be sure. As I said, at least POV works fine on my windows box, but I'll have another look.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby animohn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Changed the directory , same result:
Rendering New Animation000000 using Inyo.
Working directory is "C:\jpatch\currentdev\jpatch0.5.3_02.jar".
Invoking Inyo.
Done. Saving file "New Animation000000.png".

and then i have to abort because nothing ever happens, nothing is ever saved.

Rendering always worked on my system up through 0.5.2 and only stopped after that. I'm not asking you to fix this right now as I was only playing with jpatch again, but it is something I did want to bring to your attention.
animohn

Next

Return to Beta