New development build (July 27) ready to download

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

New development build (July 27) ready to download

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:29 pm

As promised, here's a new snapshot ready to download as usual from
http://www.jpatch.com/jpatch.jar
start with java -jar jpatch.jar

I've hopefully fixed all bugs, and there is a color chooser, pluggable look and feel and support for the new Java 1.5 look and feels (Windows XP and Linux GTK)
No real new features yet, sorry, but next time there will be at least a mirror tool and maybe some kind of "auto-complete mirror" tool, and some other requested features (model name in title-bar, etc.)...

I've started to create a bug database for JPatch - currently it runs locally on my machine only, but I'll try to integrate it with the sourceforge mySql database (which also drives this forum) - a list of bugs (static page) is here: http://www.jpatch.com/temp/bugs.html

Later I'll add the feature requests to the database too.
Last edited by sascha on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby settra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:57 pm

I must warn you that ther links in http://www.jpatch.com/temp/bugs.html ponint to 127.0.0.1 :lol:

But you may have done it on purpose. A protection or somethin like that.
settra

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:07 pm

127.0.0.1 is the loopback interface - nothing harmful... (i.e. if you click on that link it would point to your own machine)
I just wanted to put an up-to-date bug-list on the server, and was too lazy to remove those links :)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:22 am

Got it. :D

I like the extentions in the Open and Save dialogs. Now that there's an "official" extention to JPatch files, I'll have to rename my files from .jpt to .jpx.

The alternate look and feels are nice, but everything but the Metal theme has minor bugs. The CDE theme has button issues, while the GTK theme has menu color problems, and the sliders in the Material dialog are clipped. Not your fault, of course. You'd think by now Sun would get themes right.

Hrm... It still doesn't import the .mdl files I was having trouble with. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:33 am

I'll have to rename my files from .jpt to .jpx.

This reminds me that I wanted to change the format from jpx to jpt :roll:
Anyway, at least I've changed the filter to not look for *.jp* because somehow it displayed all jpeg files...

but everything but the Metal theme has minor bugs [...] Not your fault, of course.

I still learning how the different layout managers work, so chances are high that it IS my fault.

Hrm... It still doesn't import the .mdl files I was having trouble with.

:oops: oops
sascha
Site Admin

broken A:M model import

Postby sascha » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:13 pm

I've worked on A:M import and tested it with some of the models from http://www.hash.com - so far it seems to work.

The only thing I noticed is that (as my tangent algorithm is different to Hash's) shapes that should be perfectly round circles in A:M are not circles in JPatch (e.g. in the bicycle model) - I'll work on a conversion for the magnitude...

I'll need a zoom to fit too (which should also be triggered after a new model has been loaded)

I've put the bug-fixed jar online - http://www.jpatch.com/jpatch.jar
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:45 am

Yes, it's loading the models now. Cool. :)

I think some of these models I'm playing with come from the A:M demo. If you haven't got them, I can send them to you.

On the Fastman character, you can see some 5 point patches (around the shoulders, for example) aren't being recognized. The color is off, also. I know that some of the materials refer to external files, but others (such as the Gold attribute for the GoldenEars group) isn't showing up either.

Hrm... I see what's happening. The selections that are supposed to appear as Gold don't access the Gold attribute directly, but via the Shortcut to Gold shortcut, which JPatch appears to interpret as a Selection instead of a Material shortcut.

That might explain why some Selections are off - the second Shortcut to Teeth on the Caped Wonder model selects the left glove.

The two files I had trouble loading are Incredible Woman and Flim Flam. Incredible Woman seems to be missing half the file, so it's corrupted. However, I don't see anything obvious wrong with the Flim Flam model - it just doesn't appear to load anything.

One thing I've noticed - I'm not sure it's a feature or not - is that if Hide/Show unselected points is selected, you can select additional selections in the Selections list, and they'll be added to the selection group. Assuming this is a feature (I think it is), can you have it unselect a group if it's selected again?

Nice work!
dcuny

Return to Beta