[Bug] Double 3-sided patches in 0.5.2 not handled correctly?

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

[Bug] Double 3-sided patches in 0.5.2 not handled correctly?

Postby Torf » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:33 pm

Not that I'm using them normally, but upon writing some stuff for the JDP I noticed that double 3-sided patches are behaving a bit strange in 0.5.2: You can create them, but you're not able to align the two patches (flipping works, though).
a double 3-sided patch
double_3sided_patch_bug.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

Postby sascha » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:09 am

Oh, I see.
I think the reason for this behavior is that I changed the way how "algin patches" works at some point in the past (don't know if it was before or after the 0.4 release).
I thought the new way is better, but now I think it's just "different" :(

Previously, it was performing a kind of "flood fill" from one of the seed patches, recursing through all of its neighbors and flipping them if they don't face in the right direction.

This caused problems on "difficult" topologies - where difficult could be read as "wrong", because there are ways to make them better.

The new algorithm just spreads to neighbor patches which are smoothly connected to a seed patch (that's usually when they share two splines). This is a bit better than the previous approach, but simply doesn't try to align patches that are not smoothly connected to the "seed" regions.

I think the proper algorithm should first try to align all smoothly connected patches, and in a second pass align the rest of the patches. I'll change that (some day :wink: )
Site Admin

Return to Beta