Pivot handling in 0.5.2

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Pivot handling in 0.5.2

Postby Torf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:10 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the handling of selection pivots seems almost impossible in 0.5.2 without much hassle:
  • Double-clicking will not reset the pivot
  • The pivot is so small, dragging it is almost impossible (I always miss it :wink:)
  • When some axes are locked, dragging a selection in that direction will not move the selection, but the pivot
I use the last one to overcome the second one, i.e. I lock all three axes, then I can move the pivot, then I unlock the axes again :?
Torf

Postby sascha » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:25 am

David noted that when using the default tool, the pivot is rarely needed, but it's often in the way. So I changed the behavior of the defualt tool - it still shows the pivot (as tiny dot now) because it is relevant for scaling, but it can't be moved.
Right now, the only way to move the pivot is by switching to the rotate tool.
There will be an "advanced scale tool" - it will work like the default tool, but without the translate option. Instead, it will have more handles to enable non-uniform scaling. And it will have the pivot handle again.

But I'll maybe should add a hotkey to toggle the pivot handle...

The pivot is so small, dragging it is almost impossible

Well, it should be entirely impossible :wink:

When some axes are locked, dragging a selection in that direction will not move the selection, but the pivot.

Now that sounds like a bug. I'll look into it...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 am

sascha wrote:
The pivot is so small, dragging it is almost impossible
Well, it should be entirely impossible :wink:

Okay, that explains a lot. Hehe :lol:

An advanced scaling tool with more handles sounds really nice, although using axis locking is not too much work to achieve the same thing, IMHO.
Torf

Postby sascha » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:34 am

The advantage would be that you could rotate the local coordinate system (with the rotate tool and the SHIFT (or was it CTRL?) key pressed), and then scale along an arbitrary axis. The locks only allow to lock on world x/y/z aligned axes.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Beta