Attaching Points to Bones

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Postby pndragon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:57 pm

Spare time doesn't grow on trees over here, neither, and my time is limited, too

I agree with that. Fortunately, the research for this project would be fun.

I haven't done any animations yet either, so I don't know how much help I would be on that end. I really didn't come to jpatch for animation in the first place...

You can sign me up to help too...

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby Torf » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:14 am

sascha wrote:About the format: I've got no expirence with LaTeX, docbook, SGML and so on. The best thing is to keep it plain old HTML.

HTML would be the easiest way of writing it, that's sure. The only thing one has to keep in mind is that it would be a very good idea to use very simple markup and use CSS to do the rest, otherwise it's a PITA to maintain.

To collaboratively work on it, the Wiki would be useful - Dokuwiki can do some basic formatting and you can also insert html tags.
Perhaps we should (just for the documentation) don't use Wiki formatting but only HTML - this would make it easier to use the documents as offline documentation or within JPatch.

I'm not sure if pure HTML and Wiki mix nicely, but it's worth a try.

• A short intoduction and overview.
  • Download and installation guides for a Sun JRE, JPatch and possibly JOGL for all supported platforms (I can only test on Linux and Windows).
  • A quick "walk through" with a lot of screenshots to get an overview about what can be done with JPatch and what can't.
  • Detailed documentation about every single feature.
  • Tutorials with screenshots and downloadable JPatch models at each step.
  • Instructions about how to download and install the most popular renderers (e.g. POV-Ray and one RenderMan renderer), and how to set up JPatch to use the renderers.
  • FAQ
What do you think?

A good start :) I'll set up some wiki pages now to get things rolling...
Torf

Postby Torf » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:33 am

Torf wrote:HTML would be the easiest way of writing it, that's sure. The only thing one has to keep in mind is that it would be a very good idea to use very simple markup and use CSS to do the rest, otherwise it's a PITA to maintain.

I'm not sure if pure HTML and Wiki mix nicely, but it's worth a try.

They don't mix nicely, I'm afraid. I created some starting pages for the project, and I have to say that the wiki and its link format are too much interwoven to be separated easily. All the other stuff (headings, paragraphs, lists, ...) is not a problem.

The new starting point can be found in the wiki under jdp:overview. I used a new namespace, jdp (JPatch Documentation Project), so that the other docs get not mixed up.

The format of the page is back from HTML to Wiki again, and if we want to use the wiki, I vote for sticking to the Wiki syntax.
Torf

Postby sascha » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:46 am

Yes, ok. We can use Dokuwiki itself to render the documents to plain HTML (e.g. to export them as zip or to use them within JPatch). I don't know if this functionality is built into Dokuwiki, but writing such a script should be trivial.
sascha
Site Admin

New thread

Postby sascha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:48 am

For followups related to the JPatch documentation and the Wiki please use this thread.
sascha
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beta