A:M Import problems

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

A:M Import problems

Postby squirrelhavoc » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:24 am

I noticed that importing A:M files doesn't recognize certain patches, probably due to the new rules in jpatch that define a patch. Could those rules be changed via options?
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:20 am

Yes, it's most likely due to the new patch-finding rules. There has been some discussion about that already, and I didn't come to a conclusion.
Fact is that if a patch is not shown, there is something wrong with it and it will almost certainly cause troubles when rendering. In A:M they've added that "porcelain" material, which tries to hide creases caused by bad modeling practice, but on the other hand lead to more, perhaps even severe problems (lack of detail, odd self-shadowing artifacts, etc.).
So the correct approach would be to take a look at whats wrong with the model and correct it. With some expirecne, this is just a matter of a few minutes.

If JPatch would allow degenerate patches, the problem would just be put off. There would be rendering artifacts (creases), and people would complain about it (just like the do with A:M). It would be difficult to describe what a degenerate patch is and what is not, and for sure almost every JPatch model would be full of degenerate patches. So, the patch-finding rulues as they are may make the learning curve a bit steeper, but you'll end up with well made models that render without creases.

I'm open for discussion on this subject though.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Beta