4.0 PR1 Comments

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

4.0 PR1 Comments

Postby mkost » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:46 pm

I spent a little bit playing around with the 0.4 PR1 release. Here's what I've found so far:
    The TAB (select next curve) and INS (insert a control point) commands do not appear to be working. I openly admit that this one could be an operator error problem.

When I view the patches, half get the material I expect, the other half get a default material. It looks odd. I applied the material by selecting the entire object and hitting 'apply' while choosing a non-default material. If someone could give some guidance on posting an image, I'll put up an example screenshot.

Thanks,

Mike
mkost

Postby mkost » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:25 pm

I'm showing my noob badge front and center. I found the Options->Renderer Settings->Backface Mode to get rid of the material confusion and read the FAQ on using INS and TAB.
mkost

Postby pndragon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Did you align the patches (see the documentation)? If you did not align your patches what you are seeing is not a default material but the backside of unaligned patches...

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:56 am

Note that, as pndragon pointed out, for some applications you'll need to align the patches.
To be more precise: If you want to export the model in another format than Bezier-Patches, you will have to align them.

Patches do now (int JPatch 0.4) have a front and a back-side, and connected patches should face in the same direction. I'm working on a solution to do that alignment as automatically as possible, but right now JPatch does nothing like that by default. But you can use the "align patches" and "flip patches" options from the popup menu. See the documentation in the Wiki for more details.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby mkost » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm

sascha wrote:But you can use the "align patches" and "flip patches" options from the popup menu. See the documentation in the Wiki for more details.

That did it... Thanks,

Mike
mkost

Return to Beta