Clear Patches

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Clear Patches

Postby dcuny » Fri May 06, 2005 9:34 pm

I was playing around with flipping patches, when I notices the Clear Patches option. So I tried it, and it cleared the patches.

However, I can't seem to recreate patches on the model after clearing them.

By the way, Align Patches works like a charm! :)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 am

Clear patches simply sets the material to null. If you want to recreate a patch, simply apply a material to it.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:15 pm

OK.

I was expecting that it would reset the mesh to the state it had been in before running Compute Patches. Perhaps a different name would help. Apply Null Material is probably a better technical name, but that would be meaningless to the end user. :(
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:45 pm

I just realized that I answered a quesion you asked two months ago.
You should shout out loud when I ignore your questions :wink:.
Seriously, if I don't answer a question within a few days it's either because I did not read it (because this funny phpBB did not mark it as new), or I read it, had no time to answer and forgot to answer it later :? - so please, if you never get an answer, just remind me.
Last edited by sascha on Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:54 pm

Hehehe. :D

I know that feeling well, so I'm not going to complain at all. :P
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:55 pm

I was expecting that it would reset the mesh to the state it had been in before running Compute Patches.

That wouldn't work. If you'd press F5 (or save/load the model), the patch-finder would find the patches again. So the null material is basically a trick to fool the patch-finder.
I could add an "inactive" flag to each patch, so it would be possible to reset it to its previous state - I just though that the feature is normally needed to e.g. create a hole - so a null-material seemed quite appropriate.
It was Alex's idea, IIRC its the way blender (or some other program) does it.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:58 pm

I don't have any problem with it working that way, I just think the name should be changed to reflect what it's doing a bit better.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:06 pm

"clear patch material" ?

There are quite a lot of tools in JPatch with inapt names (e.g. the new "add/remove stubs" tool). English is not my mother-tounge, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for better termed tools/options.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:13 pm

The problem is that "clear" sounds like "remove", when it actually is more like "Set Material to Nothing".

To be consistent, there should probably be a way to set the material to Nothing in the regular material settings.

Hrm... Thinking about it a bit more, that's probably the way that it should be done in the first place - have a Null or Nothing attribute in the material, or just have a default material of that type. So assigning a "hole" material is just the same as assigning a normal material.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:32 pm

Wait a moment, now this is becoming philosophical :-)
What exactly is the difference between "replacing something with nothing" and "removing that something"?
But I agree, the option should go to the material-options.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:10 pm

Sascha wrote:It was Alex's idea, IIRC its the way blender (or some other program) does it.

Wings3d has has a hole material.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Beta