Timeline Indicator

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Timeline Indicator

Postby dcuny » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:07 pm

A couple requests for that red bar on the timeline that displays the current position of the frame:
  • Update it during animation playback. Yes, I know there frame counter reflects the current frame. ;)
  • After playback, the frame should return to it's initial position. Otherwise, I have to keep clicking the Rewind button when I preview the animation. Stop should leave the frame at the stopped position, though.
  • Enable mouse dragging, not just clicking, so you can "scrub" through the animation at various speeds. It should be able to skip frames, so you can play the animation back as fast or slow as you like. Basically, it should work the same as JLipSync's scrub option.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:23 pm

I agree, that makes sense :)
I think a "play loop" feature would be handy too.

Btw, do you know how they sync audio and video in longer animations (i.e. feature length)?
There are no clapper boards :)
It was quite difficult to do this for the "Impostor" animation: I had lip-synced the individual shots to the individual samples I took from the dialogs, but after the animation was complete, I had to use a spreadsheet that computed shot-lengths and frame numbers, and manually placed the audio clips to the right position in audacity.
If you can think of an easier workflow, I'll try to implement it into JPatch.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:10 pm

I don't know how they handle sound in professional productions, but for JPatch, I think it would be helpful to be able to specify an offset for where the wave playback begins, so you can use a single wave file for multiple scenes. This offset should probably be specified with a frame number instead of a particular time, to make stitching scenes together easier.

You can see my other post on lipsync for various other thoughts.
dcuny

Return to Beta