0.4 preview release

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

0.4 preview release

Postby sascha » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:48 pm

I'd like to make a preview build of JPatch 0.4 available to the general public (via sourceforge file-release and with a link in the download section of the homepage).
Here is what I have got so far:
http://www.jpatch.com/temp/jpatch_04_prev0.jar
(sourcecode will follow soon)

* pov and rib export from the modeler.
* realtime rendering of transparency.
* includes David Cuny's patches to the animator.
* animator has now a "new" option and a confirm dialog when closing the window.
* some bugfixes.

There are still some minor problems I am aware of and many features missing.
If you have time, please download and test this version. If there are no major bugs, I'll release it "officially".

I'll do some tests on my own and write some docs in the meantime.

Thanks a lot!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Making previews is a great idea, both for testing and splitting the release time. I'm going to download and test it .. :)
Alex

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:35 pm

I tested it on win98. :(

If I run it by double-click, a dialog box appears, stating "fatal exception occurred, program will exit".

If I run it by the CLI, an error message appears, stating "Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: can't find the specified file
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)".

IIRC this is the same problem of the first version you released to test the obj exporter..
Alex

Postby pndragon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:21 pm

It runs fine on Win2k. I note that the ability to save the render of the current frame to a new name has not been added

--Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:08 pm

"Exception in thread "main" ... IIRC this is the same problem of the first version you released to test the obj exporter..

Strange... I'll have a look at it.

I note that the ability to save the render of the current frame to a new name has not been added

:oops:
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:11 pm

While I can't test it, I'm just curious to know if the 1x and weld points options in the obj export are available in this preview..
Alex

Postby sascha » Tue May 03, 2005 11:24 am

Here's a new one.
JPatch 0.4 preview 0
Changes:
* Cleaned up menu structure (moved model directory into global preferences menu)
* Added file/image prefixes (in file properties).
* Added ability to render only parts of the sequence
* Frame numbers (in file names) now start with 1 to be consitent with JPatch's frame number display. (Timecode still starts at 0:00:00.00!)

Alex, I've tested the .obj export and to me it looks good. I think you've got more sophsticated tools to check .obj files, please have another close look at it.
I've used the Java1.4 version of the JAR program, so hopefully it can be started on Win98 this time (please let me know).

I also wrote some preliminary documentation, it can be found here
You may edit it (you can log in to the wiki using your forum username and password).

I'm preparing a few example/demo models and animations to be released with this preview.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Tue May 03, 2005 11:11 pm

Great job :D.

It works fine on 98 now. I tested the obj exporter with the realhead model I posted on the WIP. The exported 4x model has 668 vertices. If I use the join equal points tool of 3D Exploration, it turns to 658 vetices.

If it's possible, it would be useful to add a 1x export too.

bye, Alex
Alex

Postby sascha » Wed May 04, 2005 7:07 am

The exported 4x model has 668 vertices. If I use the join equal points tool of 3D Exploration, it turns to 658 vetices.

Hmmm... 10 more than it should be :? If there are no "peak" edges, I'd say it's a bug. I'll have another look at it. Which application do you use for the "join equal points" operation?
If possible, could you test it with simple models, to get an idea where JPatch creates coincident points (e.g. only on 3-sided, 5-sided patches, only on hooks, etc.)?

Thanks!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm

To join equal points I use 3D Exploration http://www.righthemisphere.com. I don't know if the demo version can do it. I'll search for a free tool for this operation and I'll do some tests with simple geometry to try to catch the problem.

see you later, Alex

p.s. many modelers provide the join points feature, so this shouldn't be a seriuos issue. Unless .. may be it could affect exported morph targets if the points order is not preserved by the joint operation ..
Alex

Postby dcuny » Wed May 04, 2005 4:29 pm

Blender also provides a "Join Equal Points" sort of operation. I think it's called "Remove Dups".
dcuny

Postby Alex » Wed May 04, 2005 6:30 pm

I did it,

the model below is very simple, it's just a sort of egg. The 4x obj export has 32 points. After joining equal points it turns to 26 points.

You can use the free version of Unwrap3D to test the obj model. First load the model. Then split the window to see both the uvmap and the 3d model. Then use file->information to check the number of points. Use select->all and 3d tools->weld vertices to join equal points. Then use file->information again to check the new number of points.

http://www.unwrap3d.com
http://www.theothersideworks.com/temp/egg.jpt

bye, Alex
Alex

Postby sascha » Fri May 06, 2005 6:38 am

Thanks for the unwrap3d link!

I had a look at your models (the realhead and the egg model) and I think I found out what causes the "problems".
JPatch only treats vertices as equal if both, their position and their normals are equal. This is necessary to correctly export sharp edges. This also means that on a sharp edge, one or more vertices with the same position but different normals are generated and exported. If it makes sense, I could add a switch to collapse all points on equal positions (and don't care for the normals).

I think the sharp edge on the egg model is intentional. On the realhead model, it is caused by an imporperly used 3-point-patch. It should be replaced by a 5-point patch.

I'll run a few more tests using unwrap3d or blender, but is far as I can see, the tesselation works as designed. Please let me know if a "collapse all coincident points" (regardless of their normals) would make sense. You'd loose the ability to create sharp edges. Let me note that is is always possible to re-work the gemoetry in JPatch to have no sharp edges (everytime you see a vertex marked with a large orange rectangle any you don't know why the warning bells should ring :) )
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Fri May 06, 2005 2:43 pm

thank you for the nice explanation,

now I feel to understand how it works. The problem with uncollapsed points is that they don't work with the SDS smooth tool. So if the model has to be animated and/or smoothed in an external SDS modeller it is always needed to collapse points first. In this sense I believe a collapse option could be useful.

Anyway this problem doesn't arise if the model has to be rendered only.

In some file formats (eg. the .cob) it is possible to assign more normals to a single point, so it is possible to have single points even for sharp edges. Unfortunately I don't know if this is possible in the .obj format too.

bye, Alex
Alex

Postby sascha » Mon May 09, 2005 4:34 pm

I've uploaded JPatch 0.4 PREVIEW 1 to sourceforge, you can download it in from the downloads section.

It's the same code as preview 0, but I've included some models and two animation files from "The Impostor".
sascha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beta