Animator...

Anything related to a beta release of JPatch: Bugs, enhancements, general discussion...

Postby pndragon » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:19 pm

i guess it was the glass....
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 pm

More specifically, it's the refraction in the glass. I suspect what's happening is that Inyo is spawning a bunch of reflection rays while inside the material. If that's the case, it'll be easy enough to test for. Fixing it, on the other hand, will probably be a bit harder. :?

This obviously shouldn't be happening, since other raytracers handle this properly. I'll have a look at POV-Ray and see if there's anything obvious I'm missing.

Thanks!
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:38 pm

I have left refraction in the new model. The difference between the two is the double-walled construction of the first model. As I said, I don't know why I did it that way... I suspect it was too much time spent making models with AOI, where if you want to give an object a material, like glass, it has to be completely closed.
pndragon

Postby sascha » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:36 pm

I promised it to Robert, so here we go... ;-)
http://www.jpatch.com/temp/jpatch_20050325.jar

new features:
* bicubic patch export (from animator) to pov and rib
* pov and rib code for lights can be edited.
* rib code for objects (inserted before attributebegin) can be edited.

This works well for raytraced shadows, I've not tested it with light-groups or different light shaders...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:42 pm

Thank you Sascha!

I will test all of the new features thoroughly and let you know of any issues. Again, thanks for this "bleeding edge" release.

Rob
rjh

Postby sascha » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Just a few notes:

The bicubic patch export isn't any better than in previous versions, so there will be creases.
The only method that should be virtually crease free is the SDS export (but it requires the patches to be aligned).

It always exports Pref (thus doubling the amout of geometry data) - I'll add an option to turn that off to save space (and parsing time) if it is not needed.

I have not yet tested the reference geometry (Pref) output with bicubic patches...

Please let me know if the additional rib options (in the animator, when a model or light is selected, press the edit button - there are new rib-tabs allowing arbitrary rib input) make sense the way I implemented them.

Thanks!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Hi Sascha,

The bicubic patch export isn't any better than in previous versions, so there will be creases.

Thanks for putting it back. I am currently trying that feature out with BMRT. Smooths out the model in places where I saw tessellation earlier. I don't see creasing unless I use 3 point patches. Or maybe I am just not looking close enough =>

The only method that should be virtually crease free is the SDS export

I will try this with 3DLight soon

It always exports Pref (thus doubling the amout of geometry data)

And what is this pref business? I looked at an undeleted rib and saw what you meant. I do not know about the functionality of pref is. Should not hurt anything since the delete file after render option is working (thanks!).

Please let me know if the additional rib options make sense the way I implemented them.

Yes they do (make sense) and thank you SO MUCH! I will send a link once my current test animation is complete. I'll also follow up with some more critique. Great functionality as it is now. Great Job!

Rob
rjh

Postby sascha » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:00 am

And what is this pref business?

In RenderMan, you can export two sets of coordinates for the meshes: The actual position, and the reference position. A shader should use the reference position for creating procedural textures. This way, when the object is animated (e.g. because the controlpoints are moved for a morph), the texture will move with the object.Without pref, the object would appear to move through the texture...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby rjh » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:17 am

Hey Sascha,

Without pref, the object would appear to move through the texture

Well then please leave it in ... =>

I will test this as well with some textured models. Thanks for the explanation; I had no idea. Just as an update, I have been using the most recent bata (3/25) every day since 3/25. Everthing is working well. The rib controls (and where you put them) are working out perfectly. I have lots to publish, but I am having too much fun animating ... =>

Really, I'll have some soon.

Robert
rjh

Postby sascha » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:49 am

Well then please leave it in ... =>

I will test this as well with some textured models.

Note that the shaders must support this to work!

I can't find the shader I've tested it right now, but I think the following should work. In the shader, define
Code: Select all
vertex point Pshad = transform("shader", Pref);

Then use Pshad instead of P for pattern generation.
You could also check if Pref is defined, and if not, simply make Pshad = transform("shader", P);
This way, your textures will also work if Pref in not defined...
sascha
Site Admin

Postby J. Baker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 am

How do you animate with this, like with bones or is there a different method for this?
AMD Semprom 2400+ - PQI Turbo 512MB DDR PC2700 - ATI 9100 64MB DDR PCI - Samsung SP0411N - PcChips 848ALU 2.1 - WIN XP Home SP1
J. Baker

Postby sascha » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:24 pm

I don't understand the question. Do you mean how to use reference geometry for textures in animation, or how to animate at all with the current development version of JPatch?

The answer to the first question is simple: JPatch uses the model in it's reference pose (i.e. all pose sliders are in their default positions) for texutre coordinates (Pref) - thus the texture will stick to the model, no matter how it changes its pose. This is supported by Inyo and by all RenderMan renderers - unfortunately it is not supported by POV-Ray (POV can only do u/v mapping, but that is not really implemented in JPatch right now).

The answer to the second questions: Bones are not implemented yet. The animator can animate position/orientation/scale of all models, position/orientation/focal-lengths of the camera and position/orientation/intensity/color of all lightsources. And it can of course animate all the morphs - go to a certain frame, position and pose the model as you like, go to the next key-frame, position and pose the model,...
Quite limited without bones, but "The Imposter" was made that way.
It also supports loading magpie-format timesheets (you can use David's JLipSync to create them) for lip-syncing.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby J. Baker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:07 pm

sascha wrote:go to a certain frame, position and pose the model as you like, go to the next key-frame, position and pose the model,...

That's what I was wanting to know, thanks sascha. :wink:
I didn't think bones was added yet.
AMD Semprom 2400+ - PQI Turbo 512MB DDR PC2700 - ATI 9100 64MB DDR PCI - Samsung SP0411N - PcChips 848ALU 2.1 - WIN XP Home SP1
J. Baker

Previous

Return to Beta