OBJ Export

Report any Bugs you've found in JPatch here. IMPORTANT:Please post bugs found in a beta or development version into the Beta forum!

OBJ Export

Postby AG » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:55 am

I don't know if any one else is having this problem but, when I Export into OBJ and load it in another program such as Wings 3D. The model becomes seperated into indivisual Polygons and also the model's structure isn't symetrical, even though I mirror in the model in JPatch.
You could try it out your self to see exactly what I mean.

Post Made By 8) Omega

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:15 am

Yes, JPatch appears to export each polygon as a seperate face, instead of sharing vertices. In Blender, you can use the Remove Doubles option to fix it.

Postby AG » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:16 am

Thanks for the feed back.
Oh man how blender looks confusing to me and yet so powerful :roll: from what I heard :lol:
Post Made By 8) Omega

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:21 am

Right now (JPatch 0.3) the .obj export has some limitations:

1) JPatch doesn't care about front- or back-facing patches. Some renderers (e.g. DirectX based) require the normal vectors to face in the right direction, such renderers will have problems displaying the .obj models from JPatch.
On OpenGL based renders, enable the BACKFACE_NORMAL_FLIP option and turn off backface culling!

2) As David pointed out, JPatch exports each patch as "triangle grid", resulting in duplicate (coincident) vertices at the patch boundaries.

Both "problems" have been fixed already for the Inyo output, so the next version will feature a better .obj output.

Postby AG » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:36 am

I don't know how you are but that feed back add more antisipation for me. Are you helping in the (coding) development of JPatch.
Post Made By 8) Omega

Postby sascha » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:39 am

No, it was me, I just forgot to log in 8)
Site Admin

Return to Bugs