Graphics tablet

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Graphics tablet

Postby sascha » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:55 pm

I've just connected my old Wacom tablet to the PC and it seems to work fine on Linux - GIMP supports pressure, but no pen tilt (which would be cool for the airbrush).
Anyway, I've tried to work with the stylus in JPatch and it works quite well. I even found a bug with it: With the stylus it's easy to accidentially use press the right/middle button (the button on the stylus) and the left button (pen down) at the same time - this isn't properly handled by my mouselisteners, and since you normally don't do that with a real mouse I didn't notice it yet.
sascha
Site Admin

Re: Graphics tablet

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:14 am

Cool. :) I've got a tablet of some flavor lying around, but it only really works under Windows.

It might work with some of the newer drivers. There's a new Kubuntu that's just been released, and my hard drive is failing. So I might try upgrading my machine tonight.
dcuny

Re: Graphics tablet

Postby sascha » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:16 am

my hard drive is failing. So I might try upgrading my machine tonight

I have two drives in my PC now, but I still haven't implemented some kind of backup strategy. JPatch is on Sourcefoge, so at least it save from harddisk failures.

Working with the stylus is quite intuitive in JPatch (I like how you can drag with pen down or move the mouse with the pen hovering over the tablet), but as there's no possibility to access the tablet directly from Java, it can only use the builtin mouse emulation. It would be really cool if it had access to the other axes - e.g. using pen tilt to rotate, etc.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Development