Shaders

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Re: Shaders

Postby dcuny » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:44 pm

sascha wrote:I didn't want to talk you out of something - for the same reasoning I could stop working on JPatch and simply use Blender (with the additional killer argument that Blender actually is free software).

You didn't talk me out of anything. You just reminded me of my rule: don't reinvent the wheel.

What I'd really like to do is find an existing renderer that has these animation-friendly features, and be able to incorporate that into JPatch. I've already got my plate full with wxBasic, which isn't getting nearly enough of my attention. And I'll probably go ahead and finish up that software only renderer, just for fun. I've already got most of the bits for it, and it'll bug me until I've got it working. It's just a much lower priority item, now that I know there's something free out there.

I'm still convinced that ambient occlusion and spherical harmonics would be a big win for an animation renderer. I just have to convince myself that I don't have to be the one to code it. ;) There's always some new renderer popping up. It's just a matter of time before it's got all the features I need.

If Blender actually did have a great workflow for character-based animation, it would make sense to drop work on JPatch. But (last time I checked) it still didn't work well for me.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:11 pm

You're message wasn't visible until I manually changed the URL. I think I caused that by deleting a message that wasn't submitted correctly. It said "connection to database lost", but apparently added a message that didn't show up on the front page, so I deleted and re-added it, which obviously caused some confusion in the database.

Anyway, we should start a new thread to continue this discussion (and I should check for a new version of phpBB...)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 pm

sascha wrote:I think I caused that by deleting a message that wasn't submitted correctly.

Hrm... Well, I noticed that the post wasn't initially submitted, so I paged back and resubmitted it. It didn't show up again, so I tried again, from a fresh post.

Anyway, we should start a new thread to continue this discussion (and I should check for a new version of phpBB...)

OK.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:53 am

phpbb.com wrote:3.0.0 has seen some some critical bugs fixed, including:
[Fix] Rollback changes on failed transaction if returning on sql error, if set

Sounds familiar. I'll upgrade as soon as I can, this forum still runs on a release candidate after all.
sascha
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Development