OpenGL Renderer

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Re: OpenGL Renderer

Postby dcuny » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm

sascha wrote:I'd certainly prefer a FLOSS renderer over a proprietary one, even when it's free as in free beer. If Blenders renderer has all the features we need and can be called from an external application, it would be a cool thing. Blender also seems to have good compositing options, including OpenEXR support, so that would be interesting too.

It looks pretty straight-forward to write an importer. What I'll probably do is write an exporter first, and export some scenes (objects, lights, materials) to a "generic" format, along the lines of .obj, along with an importer. That way, I can test it independently of JPatch. Once that's working, you can have a look at the format, and suggest changes.

Just to clarify - I was thinking that Blender would be just one of several external renderers that JPatch supported, along with RenderMan and POV-Ray. And I'd still like to see Sunflow as JPatch's high-quality internal renderer.
dcuny

Re: OpenGL Renderer

Postby dcuny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Since it's a different topic, I started a different thread for using Blender only as a renderer.
dcuny

Previous

Return to Development