LionSnake Modeler

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Re: LionSnake Modeler

Postby John VanSickle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 pm

dcuny wrote:Doing various things to damage and force the window to repaint (occluding it, resizing) doesn't seem to fix it. :?

That's odd; the last report I got about this said that it runs fine under Vista.

I'm not aware of any Rules that I'm bending, so I can't say whether it's a bug or just another VBCD (Vista Backwards Compatibility Deficit).
John VanSickle

Postby John VanSickle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:36 pm

It turns out that the way Vista handles OpenGL involves a bit of finessing. Unfortunately I develop on an XP box, and I don't know anyone running Vista, so debugging this particular problem will be slow.

In any event, v1.7.14 is now up, and includes other changes and bug fixes in addition to my attempts to fix the OpenGL-on-Vista problem.

Also, I modified the function that forces a display refresh, and hopefully stumbled upon a way to fix the problem that Wine has with the toolbars and whatnot.
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Perhaps OpenGL is set up on my machine wrong (or I have an underpowered video card), but I get:
Code: Select all
david@ubuntu-desktop:~/Desktop/lsm_1_7_14$ wine lsm_1_7.exe
err:wgl:internal_SetPixelFormat Couldn't set format of the window, returning failure
err:wgl:X11DRV_wglCreateContext Cannot get FB Config for iPixelFormat 0, expect problems!
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadDrawable
  Major opcode of failed request:  128 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  11 (X_GLXSwapBuffers)
  Serial number of failed request:  1638
  Current serial number in output stream:  1833
I'll check it out under Vista the next time I reboot.
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 am

This is part of what I see using wine. The toolbar still does its amazing vanishing act.
Attachments
lssnap1.jpeg
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby John VanSickle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Okay, so I've got at least one thing to work on...
John VanSickle

Postby John VanSickle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:18 pm

I did find one bug, and added a new feature.

The bug is that the SDS preview expects the face windings to be consistent. However, when the user adds a face using the mesh editor, there is a 50% chance that it will be wound opposite to the way its neighbors are. This results in a crash. I told it to smack the windings and the problem seems to have gone away.

The new feature is mirroring. The user can mirror the existing mesh on the x, y, or z axis. Only the real part of the mesh is editable. I tried to use OpenGL's accumulator buffer to make the mirror partially transparent, but this causes even a view with a simple cube mesh to render in three or four seconds instead of .01 seconds, at least on machines without hardware acceleration, so I commented that out.

My next feature has already been requested, and that is the ability to split a face by drawing a new edge across it (between two existing, non-adjacent vertices). This should not be terribly difficult to implement.

Still looking for a new host site...
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Mirroring is a great feature. :)

I haven't looked at LionSnake in a while. If Sascha doesn't start working on JPatch again, I may have to look to LionSnake to do my animation with. :P
dcuny

Postby John VanSickle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 am

Unless you have lots of time, I wouldn't recommend my modeler for anything major yet. I got the notion for the most recent features by following a human modeling tutorial that I found on the 'Net, and it's still very time-consuming. Right now if I want to split a face I generally have to delete the face and build the desired faces in its place. That's rather cumbersome.
John VanSickle

Previous

Return to Development