New Aqsis Core

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

New Aqsis Core

Postby dcuny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Based on this blog post, it looks like Aqsis is getting a new core. Sweet! Now I don't have to finish my renderer! ;)
dcuny

Re: New Aqsis Core

Postby sascha » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Good to hear.

I recently used 3Delight to bake light (some spotlights with raytraced shadows plus global illumination) onto a u/v mapped 3D model later to be used in OpenGL for realtime rendering. It still amazes me how powerful Renderman is, given that the API was designed what, 30 years ago? It worked surprisingly well, I used Gimp to "hand draw" the textures in one layer and then added the pre-rendered lighting from 3Delight as another layer to the u/v mapped image. The global illumination gave it a very realistic look.

That said, I'm not sure about how much is actually standard for Renderman renderers and how much is 3Delight - for the texture baking I needed some other tools that ship with 3Delight, tools that deal with pointclouds, tools that transform bake-files (a kind of 2D pointcloud) to tiff images, etc.
sascha
Site Admin

Re: New Aqsis Core

Postby pndragon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm glad to see it.

As much as I love it, I don't use 3Delight any more. For all of the wonderful effects that come with it, it is just too much of a pain in the nether regions to reinstall every few months on Ubuntu.

Now, if aqsis would only add raytracing....

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Development