Sunflow Renderer

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Re: Sunflow Renderer

Postby dcuny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am

Hrm... Although he plans on continuing Sunflow, there's no set date when he'll start working on it again. So it's still in limbo.

I had a look at Yafray, but according to the authors, they don't really see animation as a goal. That's too bad, since I've seen some nice animation done with it. There was a suggestion a while back from the Luxrender project manager to join with Yafray to add biased rendering into Yafray for animation. That got some very hostile responses, so it looks like luxrender has gone ahead and added biased rendering without Yafray's help.

I jumped through a bunch of hoops to try it out yesterday. I had to manually compile it because my processor didn't have sse2 support, and then it turned out that the CVS version's direct rendering code was broken. :roll:

The luxrender folk seem to think that it's suited for animation, but I'm not sure. It took about 10 minutes to get a clean "direct illumination" render. Since they're doing full spectral sampling (even with direct rendering), it takes a while for the variance to settle. But it's worth keeping an eye on.
dcuny

Previous

Return to Development