JPatch to python questions

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

JPatch to python questions

Postby pndragon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 pm

I've got the basic, non-functioning gui built:
capture_20082010_171448.jpg

I just have to program the backside. I'm using tkinter because it is open-source and doesn't have the pit of licensing problems that PyQT
would leave me to worry about.

I'm also using version 3.1.2 of python since it is a complete rewrite and better to use it now than have to rewrite all my code later. This has a
few problems of its own since a lot of modules have not been updated yet---NumPy, the math module being one of them---but I'll lock that barn
when the horse gets stolen. PyOpenGL has been updated though. And it is always possible I'll find what I need somewhere else.

All right, the question, what are the lowest level jpatch packages that I'll need to port first? Particularly building toward the 3d viewports
on the gui?

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: JPatch to python questions

Postby pndragon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Turns out the update for NumPy was being added while I was working on the gui.

I didn't find out until today because I've been caught up in a last minute change to the web site for my home school group for the last solid week. (I wish I would get paid 10% of what they would have to pay a "professional" for the job I'm doing for them)

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: JPatch to python questions

Postby sascha » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 am

Very busy, sorry for this late reply.

I've had some problems with my eyes, but I'm already feeling much better and right now I'm working really hard on an update for my other project.

If you really want to keep the patch modeler alive I'll try to help, but you gotta understand what you're getting into :wink:
The basics are very simple - check out the ControlPoint class.
These points connect to curves (splines), curves can be attached to eachother and eventually form patches.

With hooks everything becomes quite complicated, and making sure that the datastructures don't get messed up (especially with undo/redo and some high-level functions like lathe or extrude or when deleting entire sets of points/curves/patches) quickly becomes a nightmare.

Then there's the issue wih cracks, creases and undulations in the surface. Theres no 1:1 mapping to regular bicubic patches, and no direct support from any renderer. You could try to convert them to NURBS, but the math can get ugly.
IMHO, SDS is the way to go...
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Development