Jpatch for iPad/iPhone

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Jpatch for iPad/iPhone

Postby KingVidiot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 am

Hello,

Since the announcement of tools like Alchemo, would it be easy to port Jpatch to work on Apple's Java-phobic devices like iPad and iPhone? It seems like a great platform for modeling on the go: simple interface, nice big screen (iPad), 3D support, and lots of users.

http://www.innaworks.com/alchemo-for-ip ... e-porting/

Just a thought...
KingVidiot

Re: Jpatch for iPad/iPhone

Postby sascha » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Tempting.
At least the iPad would have a large enough screen to be actually useful for 3D modeling, and the multitouch interface is very interesting. A lot of things that are difficult to do with a mouse pointer are very simple and intuitive on such a touch-screen (just think about IK, when you can manipulate multiple limbs at once). On the other hand, the current iPad models have just 256MB of RAM, and that's not much, especially not when you think about subdivision surfaces.

We'll see, but right now there are now real plans to port JPatch to the iPad (I'll have to release a working PC version first ;-))
sascha
Site Admin

Re: Jpatch for iPad/iPhone

Postby pndragon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 pm

sascha wrote:We'll see, but right now there are now real plans to port JPatch to the iPad (I'll have to release a working PC version first ;-))

I would appreciate the pc version. The cost of an iPad means that no matter how much I salivate when my friends show me their toys, I won't be seeing one of my own any time in the near future.

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Development