Tulare Renderer

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Tulare Renderer

Postby dcuny » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm

As I've been threatening to do, I've cobbled together a little Java z-buffer renderer out of code I'd found on the internet, as well as various projects I've been working on. Following my pattern of naming projects after counties in California, I've dubbed it Tulare.

I thought I had a more complete .obj parser, but that turned out not to be the case. My SDS mini-renderer had been parsing John's LionSnake files. So I fired up j/byacc and wrote a (slightly) better parser. For now, the SDS code is ripped out, since I'd want to use Sascha's SDS code instead.

The core of the rasterizer is from Leonard McMillian's class lecture notes. He's got a complete rasterizer, with all the various bells and whistles such as perspective correct texture mapping. Sweet. :)

At this point, I can read .obj files (along with the materials) and render them:
test_scene.obj_0090.png
test_scene.obj_0090.png (4.55 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Yeah, the material looks terrible. I'm going to play with Blender's export a bit more, and see if it'll include nonstandard information such as lights and camera position.

I doubt anyone other than me would be interested in using it, but since I've splattered it about various threads, I figured I'd give it a thread of its own. It doesn't really belong in the Marin thread.

The main things I want to play with are SSAO (of course) and z buffer shadows. I'm especially interested in getting fake global illumination (using spherical harmonics and ambient occlusion) working - basically, the stuff I was playing around with with the OpenGL renderer when I gave up (because Blender was so far ahead, and OpenGL was such a pain with my video card).

I guess I should thank Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for putting me on furlough this Friday. That way I can stay up until all hours the the night coding. But I'm sure going to miss that 10% of my paycheck in the coming 18 months... :(
dcuny

Re: Tulare Renderer

Postby sascha » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:03 pm

The image looks like there are tiny holes in the surface where two triangles meet - this shouldn't happen.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:23 pm

That's odd... it looks like a post or two from this thread have gone missing. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I check the forum about every day, but I haven't seen any answers to the last massage above. Sometimes I accidentally hit "save" instead of "submit" though, but don't ask me where the saved messages go...
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Development