Open Asset Import Library

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Open Asset Import Library

Postby John VanSickle » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:05 am

http://sourceforge.net/projects/assimp/ has a library for the import of several different 3d file formats, including "3DS, X, Obj, MD2, MD3, MDL, ASE, MS3D and a lot of other formats." Anyone had a look into the code?
John VanSickle

Re: Open Asset Import Library

Postby dcuny » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:44 am

This is a new one to me. Interesting find! I see that a Java version is pending.

I think they meant their slogan to read "If you're looking for asses, you're probably in the wrong place." Also from their FAQ:

I love you. May I marry all of you?
We regret to tell you that this is absolutely not possible.

It's intended as an import-only library, so it won't export assets to the various formats.
dcuny

Re: Open Asset Import Library

Postby John VanSickle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:05 pm

dcuny wrote:It's intended as an import-only library, so it won't export assets to the various formats.

Yeah, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to export, given that the import feature has to at least correctly parse the imported stream. Since this library is designed without any particular use in mind, they have to cover all of the bases and correctly handle everything in the incoming stream.

On the other hand, an export function only has to worry about the features that are supported by the app.
John VanSickle

Return to Development