Center of Gravity

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Re: Center of Gravity

Postby sascha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

The problem with doing "layering" before animation is complete is that there's no good way to undo the "layering" step. But because layers can be toggled on and off, you've got a lot more freedom to experiment and not worry about getting painted into a corner. For example, you could do a couple different versions of an action - each as a different layer - and then choose the one that you liked the best. Sort of like a multitrack tape recorder that supports multiple takes.

I don't get it. :|
I can imagine "layers" in the motion-curve editor to be either additive (so the actual motion is a combination of all motioncurves on all layers), or overriding each other (e.g. the active layer with the highest priority wins) - all on a "per track" basis (with a track being a single curve, e.g. for "arm bend", etc.)

In your example, if I understand correctly, you're about to move keys. And you like that relative key-translation encapsulated in a layer that can be turned on or off? It would be possible, but when you also allow to insert new keys on that layer, things can get pretty messy. Nothing impossible though, but we'd need a very clear picture of what we're talking about before I can begin designing it.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:08 am

Posts got mixed up in this thread again :?
I had to remove mine to be able to see yours.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am

I agree: there needs to be a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. For example, can layers contain other layers? Things would get complex real fast that way. For something like that, it's probably best to store multiple copies of the file instead of having multiple layers.

Bummer about threads getting corrupted. :?
dcuny

Previous

Return to Development