Rigging Demos

Ideas, enhancements, feature requests and development related discussion.

Rigging Demos

Postby dcuny » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm

I ran across this site which has some interesting rigging stuff. The Control-free Facial Setup rig is cool. It looks like clicking on the face causes the group to be selected, instead of the single point. The ZV Parent Master is also pretty spiff - it looks a lot like the parenting tool that JPatch used to have.
dcuny

Re: Rigging Demos

Postby sascha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:49 pm

The Control-free Facial Setup rig is cool.

Agreed.
It looks like clicking on the face causes the group to be selected, instead of the single point.

I think it's a bit more complicated. As you can see, the system can be used to rotate (both!) eyes, or the yaw bone.

I'm not sure how this works exactly, but what I could do with JPatch is to have kind of control sliders in the 3D views. E.g, select a group of vertices and bind them to a slider. This way, if the user e.g. clicks on the eye (which are bound to the eye bone control) and "moves" them in along the x-axis (which is bound to eye-bone y-axis rotation), he would rotate the eyes. Same goes for the yaw, etc, and you could of course also bind it to morphs not only bones.

But I'm not so sure if this really is such a great idea. With the stop-staring like 2D controls, all controls you need are in one place, much better organized than simple 1D sliders, with each control just a mouseclick away. The problem with working in 3D viewports is that the screen is only 2D, so you always have to rotate and pan the view, zoom in and out, move around obstacles, etc. There's no way around that when modeling in 3D, but I think that I'd prefer the clean 2D slider approach when it comes to animating.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:57 am

sascha wrote:The problem with working in 3D viewports is that the screen is only 2D, so you always have to rotate and pan the view, zoom in and out, move around obstacles, etc. There's no way around that when modeling in 3D, but I think that I'd prefer the clean 2D slider approach when it comes to animating.

Yes, I think you're right about that.

Still, there's something attractive about a minimalistic approach that "just works"... Until it doesn't, of course. ;)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Still, there's something attractive about a minimalistic approach that "just works"

Minimalism is good, but you have to keep in mind that setting up a rig like the "Control-free Facial Setup" is difficult and requires a lot of work.
Using a (possibly predefined) setup like the stop-staring interface is a matter of creating the required morphs. And in turns of UI minimalism, I think it's even better: With the semi-transparent HUD, you won't lose and screen real estate, you'll have all the controls available and yet can see through them, so no additional viewport is needed and you can observe the effects e.g. from the camera perspective in "fullscreen".
I doubt that you could do the same with the "Control-free Facial Setup"- some "controls" might be out of reach (because the character has his/her head turned away, or is obscured by another model), so you'll end up with a split-viewport mode, one for the camera view, and one with e.g. a front view of the character's face. Hitting the correct "slider" in the "Control-free Facial Setup" is also difficult (partly because there are no sliders ;-) ), so you'll have to remember where to click to get the desired effect. With the "stop staring" interface you'll have easily recognizable 2D sliders - I think that at the end of the day they'll prove to be much more user-friendly.
Last edited by dcuny on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typos.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, most of those occurred to me, also. I'm curious to know how things work in the "real world".

For example, most of the videos I've seen have people working in a single viewport, and rotating that particular view. I would have expected instead that it would be easier to have multiple viewports open (one for each axis) and move to a different viewport as needed. Maybe it's easier to change the view in the current viewport than to move the mouse to a new viewport - I don't have enough experience. Or maybe screen captures of multiple viewports are just too small to be visible when played back on YouTube. :?

In any event, I think the 2D "Stop Staring" controls will be great.

BTW: I changed "loose" to "lose" in the prior post. Just remember: "loose" makes it larger (adding an "o"), while "lose" makes it smaller (lose an "o"). I also changed "trough" to "through", but that just looked like an unfortunate type. :P
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 am

BTW: I changed "loose" to "lose"

Oops, thanks for the hint!
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Development