Creating a closed cube

User support for JPatch

Creating a closed cube

Postby Mikr2006 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi guys. I was wondering if you know how to create a closed cube. I tried creating a side of the cube and extruding it from there but to a certain degree it had open sides. This happened to me when I also tried to create symmetrical shapes. Any ideas on how I would go about fixing this? any thoughts would be appreciated. :)
Mikr2006

Postby dcuny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Heh. That's one of the bits about patch modeling that I always had trouble with.

You could run a spline from one corner of the cube to the diagonal, and that would create two three-sided patches for the face.

Probably not a good solution, but should still work: create a 4-sided patch, and weld it to the corners of the cube. :?
dcuny

Postby Mikr2006 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Hey thanks a lot for the advice. I followed your advice and it worked! I think the same process can be applied for a closed tube shape though it will be a little more difficult but hey it works! :D
Mikr2006

Postby pndragon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Start with a square:
Go to a side view (your choice) and extrude until you have made a cube.
Return to the front view. Select only the center cube, and with your Right Mouse Button, bring up the context menu. Choose Select>Invert Selection. Then Delete.
This is what you will have left.
After calculating patches.

You will still, of course, have to align patches and if necessary flip them.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to Support / Help