total newbie here, how do you use bones in latest dev versio

User support for JPatch

total newbie here, how do you use bones in latest dev versio

Postby ahmet » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:01 am

Hi
i am trying to use the bones, i had created them but they do not affect the model as i rotate them, What is the trick?

thanks
ahmet

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:10 am

You need to bind the bones to the control points of the mesh.

The simplest thing to do is select the entire model (all the bones and control points) and then bring up the context menu with a Mouse Right Click. Choose Tools > Align controlpoints to bones from the popup menu. All the selected points will be bound to the selected bones. If more than one bone is selected, the point is assigned to the closest bone.

Notice that when the bones are bound to the control points, the control points take on the color of the bones.

To assign control points to bones seperately, click to select the bone that you want to assign points to. Then use Ctrl+Click (Control Key + Mouse Click) to select the points to bind to the bone. Choose Tools > Align controlpoints to bones from the context menu (Mouse Right Click) to bind the points to the bone.

You can also prevent points from being assigned to a bone by deleting the Pitch, Yaw and Roll attributes, since JPatch will not assign any control points to bones with no range of motion. An example might be a shoulder bone, where you might want to connect the arm to the backbone via a shoulder bone, but not want any points attached to the shoulder bone.
dcuny

Postby ahmet » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:17 am

Thank you Dcuny

I think i did it and it works great thank you, but i guess i am frustrated because there is no way to rotate the bones in the viewport, it seems like i need to use the menu to rotate the bones?
ahmet

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Yes, currently the only way that bones can be rotated is through the tree view. You've no doubt noticed that JPatch already has a rotation controller, so I suppose it's just a matter of hooking up that control with the bones and making it work. Obviously it's a bit more complex than that, or else it would have been done already.

I was also hoping that the animation tools would be a bit more developed by this point. Instead, Sascha's been spending time working with subdivision surfaces (SDS), and slowly coming to the decision to make JPatch an SDS-based program.

I'm hoping now that the decision to transition away from patches has been made, less time will have to be spent supporting buggy patch code, and more progress will be made on the animation tools. But since I'm not the coder on this project, I can't say.;)

There's been a lot of discussion about what sort of controllers should be used for the bones. I'm hoping to move away from the current Animation:Master style rotation tools and toward a more Maya-styled control, because the "grab" controls on the boxes always seem to be in the way. Still, I'l be happy to have just about anything.

There's also been some discussion about having some sort of "limited" inverse kinematic (IK) control for arms and legs. By "limited", I mean limited to two bones with a simple hinge joint, and full rotation on each end (again, like the arms and legs). This would allow being able to grab something by the wrist or ankle and moving it like traditional IK, or "locking" the ankles to the ground, and lifting the skeleton by the hips. This would give a lot of the functionality of traditional IK, but be a lot simpler to implement, respond a lot faster, and be more stable as well. But that's a bit into the future...
dcuny

Return to Support / Help