Which AVI maker do you use ?

User support for JPatch

Which AVI maker do you use ?

Postby dphamhi » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:56 am

Hi everyone,

most of the time I've been rendering still pix only, and Inyo is great for that .
Question 1 : Inyo outputs only png files. Now that gif has fallen out of copyright period, it would be nice for some webpage to have animated gif, instead of AVI ( you see the quantity of code that is put into play ...) ~just a suggestion ... :?

Question 2 : Now to move on to making AVI (real , 3 minutes animated sequences of thousands of stills ) I want to ask your advice on what (free) AVI maker to use - I'm working under Win XP sp2

~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby sascha » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Finally someone break the silince :D

Question 1 : ... it would be nice for some webpage to have animated gif...

The copyright issues are not the only arguments pro png - GIF only supports indexed palettes (with a maximum of 256 colors), PNG on the other hand offers good (lossless) compression, alpha channel support and e.g. 16 bit per channel. There's also an animated version of PNG called MNG.
Besides, I haven't seen any animated GIFs lately (except on pages like this :P). There are some (free) tools out there to create a flash animation out out a series of e.g. jpg images. Both quality and compressions are better than with animated GIFs, and since most browsers have flash plugins installed, this seems to be a reasonable way to embed short animations into webpages.

I think you'll also find a lot of tools to create animated GIFs, I just haven't used any of these lately, so I don't have any expirence.

Question 2 : Now to move on to making AVI...

I always use TMPGEnc. It can create high quality (and highly compatible) MPG-1 movies, but can optionally use any installed codec (e.g. DIVX) to create AVI files. It does not support PNG per default (authought I've heared that there is a plugin or patch available), so you have to convert the images before. I'm running Linux, so I use ImageMagick for batch conversion, but I'm sure there are ways to do this on Windows ;-)

I'll maybe add a builtin batch file converter to JPatch one day, or even AVI output using David Cuny's AVI writer (uncompressed) or the JMF (simple compression like MJPEG).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dphamhi » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:59 pm

sascha wrote:Finally someone break the silence :D

Well, I have 100 questions but I kept silence to let you work on the version 0.6 faster :wink:

GIF only supports indexed palettes (with a maximum of 256 colors), PNG on the other hand offers good (lossless) compression, alpha channel support and e.g. 16 bit per channel.

Amen !

I always use TMPGEnc. It can create high quality (and highly compatible) MPG-1 movies, but can optionally use any installed codec (e.g. DIVX) to create AVI files.

Wow! why haven't I thought of that ! I have used TMpgenc these last 2 years , but always to edit my home videos ! never thought of using it image by image. Conversion PNG to JPG is no problem in windows.

I'll maybe add a builtin batch file converter to JPatch one day, or even AVI output using David Cuny's AVI writer (uncompressed) or the JMF (simple compression like MJPEG).

Thanks a lot then !

Keep up the good work !
~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby sascha » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:52 pm

You're welcome.
Well, I have 100 questions but I kept silence to let you work on the version 0.6 faster

Please feel free to ask. There's always a chance that I'm not the only one who can answer them :-)
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help